Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BenDixon2002
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

E10 Fuel September 2021

Post by BenDixon2002 »

Hi all. I've been to a car show today and got talking to another minor owner and he told me that all unleaded fuel at petrol stations is getting replaced with this new 'E10' fuel that is incompatible with vehicles before 2011. He said he'd been asking all the other classic car owners at the show and they all didn't know about it, myself included. From my google searches I've found it is corrosive to many materials, particularly rubber, and can damage classic vehicles. Apparently classic cars will still be compatible with super grade (97+ octane) fuels at most petrol stations, but I can imagine it will get a lot more expensive in the near future, and hopefully, it will continue to be available. Hopefully an additive or something will be available to keep our cars running in the future, would be a shame otherwise. I bought my Minor as my first car in November 2019 and it is the only car I use, so would be upset for this change in standard fuel to have a significant impact on my daily driving. Hopefully this comes as a warning if you didn't already know about it.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: E10 Fuel September 2021

Post by myoldjalopy »

This has come up before, see: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73754
But I suspect it will be harder and harder to get E5 fuel as demand drops for it..... :(
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

But I suspect it will be harder and harder to get E5 fuel as demand drops for it..... :(
It won't be so much dropping demand, as an 'enforced' drop in availability. Even modern car drivers realise they would be better off sticking to E5 mechanically speaking but governments and the eco warrior lobby are determined to push this upon us.
I also notice that the adverts for electric cars are increasing and I have even seen an ad on TV featuring (the now usual) bunch of stroppy looking kids / teenagers demanding we change our ways (and go greener).
I have nothing against this in principle but what gets my back up is being told what to do by a bunch of stroppy teens, whilst they also give you evil looks, daring you to contradict them in any way.
Who the hell is Greta Thunderbird anyway, apart from just another stroppy teenager.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

Change the fuel hoses and pump diaphram to easily available ethanol compatible ones, use it regularly and it will be fine.

Most of the damage to metals comes from water absorbed into the fuel when standing.

One thing being pushed for commercial vehicles is bio methane which has about the same if not better co2 footprint as electric vehicles, conversion will cost a couple of thousand but you will be able to keep the character of the car.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Make sure you use Super Unleaded, if you don’t already. There are also ethanol stabiliser products that claim to mitigate its effects. How effective they are I don’t know. Here’s one, for example: https://lucasoil.co.uk/products/fuel-t ... tabilizers
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

All cars before 2011 is pure rubbish...

For example Ford confirm that my 1993 Transit is ok for it.

Its been in the US and AUS for many years, so while its new to us - its not new.
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

E10 is already here, look for it on the pumps...
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

E10 is already here, look for it on the pumps...
No thanks. :lol:

I think I may try and find a local Esso fuel station...........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Matt wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:25 pm All cars before 2011 is pure rubbish...

For example Ford confirm that my 1993 Transit is ok for it.

Its been in the US and AUS for many years, so while its new to us - its not new.
and i you look at all the fuel injection parts etc there were no different parts for U.S. AUS or south American cars listed right back to the 80's
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Bowie69 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:54 pm E10 is already here, look for it on the pumps...
The pumps have to say E10 before the deliveries arrive. Most haven't actually got it yet - ask the nice people at the counter next time you fill up :)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I know there's been various threads about this, but these are the latest videos I've seen on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPbdKszvMxM
https://youtu.be/dDvUuGCEhb8?t=551

The gist is, keep driving and things will be almost normal, and in the case of our Minors there are the newer versions of the leaded fuel replacement additives with ethanol protection.

Out of interest one I saw said it was suitable for cars with/without catalytic converters with carburettors. Would there actually be any cars with carburettors and catalytic converters? and why would it make any difference to say putting it in a catalytic converter fuel injected car?
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

If changing from unleaded that is going to be E10 to super unleaded that will stay E5. do you have to alter anything. such as the timing. on a standard 1098 engine?
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

You do not have E10 already in UK?

that is very difficult to understand.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chief wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 pm
Out of interest one I saw said it was suitable for cars with/without catalytic converters with carburettors. Would there actually be any cars with carburettors and catalytic converters? and why would it make any difference to say putting it in a catalytic converter fuel injected car?
I would imagine that is just the sales blurb aimed at covering every possible purchaser, including those with a void between the ears who don't know what their car has fitted, whose limits are just about knowing that the car uses petrol rather than diesel. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

geoberni wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:05 am
Chief wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 pm
I would imagine that is just the sales blurb aimed at covering every possible purchaser, including those with a void between the ears who don't know what their car has fitted, whose limits are just about knowing that the car uses petrol rather than diesel. :roll:
There are (or certainly were) cars out there with catalytic converters that ran on carburettors. Volvos in the late '80s, for example? I'm not sure that all their drivers have or had a 'void between the ears', but that's just my opinion :wink: . It stands to reason to me that some might want reassurance a product aimed at the fuel system isn't going to destroy their catalytic converter worth several hundred pounds.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I stand corrected. I didn't know the tank manufacturer, I mean Volvo, introduce Cats while still running Carbs.
My experience, from personal purchase and other cars I knew of, I thought Injection preceded Cats with the major manufacturers.
I remember my new Mitsubishi in 90/91 had lots of dire warnings in the handbook about parking carefully and not to park on long grass because the Cat might set fire to it. :o
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

This thread is a great advert for electric vehicles. Very convincing! :D
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

This thread is a great advert for electric vehicles. Very convincing!
Which is exactly the way the politicians and the eco bullies want you to think! :roll: :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

—- and why wouldn’t folk think that way. we’ve got a problem haven’t we? If it was just humans involved we could decide to just run the planet ‘till we wrecked it but the environment and other species go to the wall also. We may not have all the answers but its good to know there are people out there who feel an answer is needed.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

les wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:55 pm If it was just humans involved we could decide to just run the planet ‘till we wrecked it but the environment and other species go to the wall also.
The mice'll just commision a new planet for us after the dolphins leave :lol:
geoberni wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:07 am I thought Injection preceded Cats with the major manufacturers.
I thought the same, but since the mention of Volvo I looked up my parents old one which was the first car they ever had with a cat. and see it actually had a carburettor (I was sure that by the 90s it would have been fuel injection, which if it had been a higher-spec version I see it would have had).
les wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:55 pm We may not have all the answers but its good to know there are people out there who feel an answer is needed.
I'm still holding out on Bosch, Mazda or those in the Volkswagen group making their e-fuels. I mean so far we have bio-diesel, bio-LPG (Calor for one make and sell it to consumers) and then the synthetic petrols and aircraft fuels being developed under the e-fuel heading.

Downside is the latest I read on that is that the EU (no idea about the UK, information is somewhat scarce) aren't interested in helping to develop e-fuels because they believe that it would promote vehicle companies to continue development of internal combustion rather than moving on to electric. So Bosch were saying without backing you're likely to be paying £4/litre.

I also noticed I'm in the small 35% who responded in that recent survey that I'd be willing to pay a carbon offset if it meant being able to continue driving my vehicles as-is, that said I don't drive much - for one thing my Minor has no interior whatsoever currently :P