Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
12jslater
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

803cc advice needed!!

Post by 12jslater »

Hello! Just purchased a 54' minor with its original sewing machine... I mean engine.

Anyway after hearing things regarding this engine I have two questions, first of all is the oil filter issue, is there a possible way to change the engine to have a full filtration system rather than the existing bypass system as I really don't trust the modern repro 803cc filters. If not how would I be best to plug up the hole in the block that the filter screws into.

And secondly is it best to lug the 803 a wee bit in 4th or rev it quite a bit in 3rd on slight incli w as I know the engine isn't the strongest so wouldn't be quite sure which one to stick with out of the two.

Hope to hear all your suggestions and answers!!
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 803cc advice needed!!

Post by jagnut66 »

And secondly is it best to lug the 803 a wee bit in 4th or rev it quite a bit in 3rd on slight incli w as I know the engine isn't the strongest
Hi,
The best thing to do with the 803 is to remove it and replace it with the far better 948 unit. Even in unmodified standard form the 948 is far superior.
I also suggest the 948 because (quite apart from it being a sweet little engine), should you so wish, you can still retain things like the original gearbox, so that the car looks completely standard. I'm assuming this is the look you want, as your original question implies you want to know how to live with an 803.
The answer to that is, with extreme patience, I believe climbing hills in 1st is not unknown.......
If you do ever go for a 948 I would suggest that it would also be better to swap the diff as well, for the 948's 4.55 one, as the original 803 diff won't like the extra power.
The 803 engines didn't get the reputation that they 'wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding' for nothing....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I'm not aware of a way to retro-fit a full-flow filtration system, as I believe the block castings are different, but I stand to be corrected.

If by 'plug up' the oil filter hole, you mean do away with the filter, then that clearly isn't the way to go :wink: . If, however, you're worried about the fact that some of the repro filters have a hole that is too large, resulting in decreased oil pressure, and want to fix that issue, then speak to Declan Burns (or search for his previous posts on this) as I believe his friend (Ralf?) makes restrictors which reduce the aperture to the correct size, compensating for the issue with the modern filters and maintaining the correct oil pressure.

Re how to drive the car, I agree with Jagnut66 really regarding putting a 948 engine in it! However, if you're sticking with the 803, I would recommend that you do neither of the things that you suggest! 'Lugging', or labouring any engine is bad news, but unlike practically any other A-Series engine, the 803 won't thank you for thrashing it either, as its weak link is the crank and bearings. So I'd just drive it sensibly, and also keep your fingers crossed at all times like I used to driving my 803-engined Series II :D .
George56

Post by George56 »

How do I find Declan Burns on the forum to order an oil filter restrictor? Can’t seem to manage through the search key!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

George56 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:38 pm How do I find Declan Burns on the forum to order an oil filter restrictor? Can’t seem to manage through the search key!
Close but not quite there....
Top of the page where it says [FAQ] [Search] [Members] [The Team]

Click Members, then follow your nose, Find a member, type Declan etc.
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Send a PM to
Declan_Burns
Note the underscore!