Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

E- scooter

Post by les »

Maybe I’m behind the curve but I saw one of these scooters the other day, it actually had a seat! . What next, wing mirrors, indicators, fairing ? They’ll soon be motorcycles!
Dogsdad
Minor Friendly

Re: E- scooter

Post by Dogsdad »

Better get used to them.
Soon we will have to use them while the rich and MPs will still have cars.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It was the inclusion of a seat that amazed me!
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Unless part of the current trials taking part in many areas of the UK, privately owned E scooters are illegal on public roads and pavements.

I see loads of illegal ones every day.

If you are thinking of investing in shares at the moment, consider Halfords. As soon as Boris makes private E scooters legal; Halfords will be making £millions from them.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Maybe I’m behind the curve but I saw one of these scooters the other day, it actually had a seat! . What next, wing mirrors, indicators, fairing ? They’ll soon be motorcycles!
Didn't they used to be called mobility scooters? :D :D
Clayton James
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Clayton James »

I saw one the other day and it looks cool. Welcome to the future. 8)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Not so cool to the people who have been killed or injured by them.

The RNIB don't want them, Living Streets don't want them, the AA don't want them.

Research shows that the majority of people who use them were pedestrians already; so they do not 'get people out of their cars'.

Bad for the environment in their manufacture and charging.

Not suitable for the UK with its chaotic system of cycle paths.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

‘Not suitable for the UK with its chaotic system of cycle paths‘

Are they any more dangerous to pedestrians than pedal cycles?
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

They are certainly more accountable than bikes. We have the spin ones here in Chelmsford, to get one you have to have a driving licence and provisional licence holders are limited to half the speed of a full licence, they are also continuously tracked so if there is an incident the perpetrator can be traced. if an offence has been committed it can add points to your licence. The biggest problem is where they leave them, it must be a nightmare to navigate the footpaths in a wheelchair or with a pram with these things littering the paths.

Because of Covid many people seem to be using them in preference to the expensive, filthy ancient busses we have around here, so no real pollution or CO2 savings.

The fundamental problem for me though is the lack of proper dedicated cycle paths and the state of the roads, If we had these I would use my Bike more anyway, scooters are in the same camp just more unstable and their tiny wheels liable to disappear down the pot holes.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

ianmack wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:39 am ‘Not suitable for the UK with its chaotic system of cycle paths‘

Are they any more dangerous to pedestrians than pedal cycles?
Yes they are because the (currently) illegal ones can have a frightening top speed.

Potentially more dangerous to the rider than pedestrians; but the problem lies in scooter riders and cyclists illegally riding on pavements.

The police do not want them either.

I wonder what happens to aquatic wildlife when someone slings an E scooter in the canal?
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Farming Today this morning stated that criminals are using E scooters to carry out silent surveillance on farmyards, prior to carrying out thefts.

Another reason to ban them. :roll:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

I have seen a few youngsters in my part of the country riding 'E scooters'.

I recently had the opportunity to try one, as my friends son rides one. This lad is aged 10. I'm aged 66.

Anyway I jumped on this smallish scooter, and had a sedate ride. It didn't travel very fast which was a good thing. Imagine my shock and Suprise to see a much old lad riding a large E scooter, on the same part of the road.

I will say shock, because the older lad was travelling at an alarming speed. It must have been in the range of 30-40 miles per hour. With no helmet, gloves or protected clothing. I have to say that I've never seen a scooter travel this fast. It was frightening.

Needless to say, I walked the little scooter back to my friends son, who asked me; "Did you like that Jonnie"? I thought blimey not at that speed mate.😨
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I am afraid that the genie has been let out of the bottle and he refuses to go back in.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Have they ever considered Blind people they cant see the car and soon wont be able to hear them :o