Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Battery charger

Post by les »

I’d like some advice please. I’ve got one of these chargers that can be left on for a prolonged period, I don’t tend to do this though, I simply use it to top up, if I think the battery is low. The make is Carcoon 0.6A with the option of powering a fan, if used with a plastic bubble for car storage but I’ve never used this option.
Now I used this charger the other day, to top up a 70A/H battery, after a few hours the charger got quite hot and never actually indicated ( by the green light) that it had finished charging. After a few more hours I wasn’t happy so decided to disconnect it. On inspection the plastic casing showed signs of distortion. I imagine it was because of heat.
My query is —- was the battery too large for this charger ?
3F842E7D-91A5-449C-AD84-864DFC5200C8.jpeg
3F842E7D-91A5-449C-AD84-864DFC5200C8.jpeg (299.27 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Battery charger

Post by philthehill »

Les
To me the 70 a/h battery is too large for to be charged by the Carcoon battery charger especially if near fully discharged. A normal battery charger should be used.
Reading comments on the web - most suggest that the Carcoon charger should only be used to keep charged battery's topped up. Reading the Carcoon web site there appear to be no restrictions on the size of battery to be charged but again I consider a 70 a/h battery to be too large and which will soak up charge/power which will produce heat within the Carcoon charger.
Phil

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks Phil, that was my suspicion, although I have connected to this battery before, as you say, this time the battery may have been too discharged although I hadn’t thought so. I’m buying another similar charger, this time a AccuMate rated at 1.2 A and suitable for 4 to 75 A/H batteries.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Les
I have used a Accumate charger for a good number of years and it has given good service.
The model I have allows for the charging of 6v and 12v batteries.
Phil
Last edited by philthehill on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That’s the one 6/12 volt. The casing looks identical to the Carcoon one, externally.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Les, have you considered using a solar panel to keep the battery topped up when the car isn’t in use?
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I have indeed got one John but since using the mentioned charger have not considered it. I think I might give it more thought, now you mention it !
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

My Minor is hooked up to a solar panel. The leisure battery is taken off the caravan and left in the garage connected to this charger on a long term basis.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-R ... th=1&psc=1
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Bringing this thread back for a couple of reasons, firstly I found my solar charger and connected to cig lighter socket to it try out, chargers blue lamp started flashing so ok. However I decided to re route the cable, so removed the plug to do so. When reconnected the blue lamp was no longer flashing. Disconnected and it started, reconnected and no light again. I haven’t checked the battery yet but would a solar charger stop charging if battery was fully charged?
Finally, and I’ve yet to check with meter but what sort of voltage output should I expect from this type of charger?
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:19 pm Bringing this thread back for a couple of reasons, firstly I found my solar charger and connected to cig lighter socket to it try out, chargers blue lamp started flashing so ok. However I decided to re route the cable, so removed the plug to do so. When reconnected the blue lamp was no longer flashing. Disconnected and it started, reconnected and no light again. I haven’t checked the battery yet but would a solar charger stop charging if battery was fully charged?
Finally, and I’ve yet to check with meter but what sort of voltage output should I expect from this type of charger?
It depends on the condition of the battery and how clever the charger is.
As to a Solar Panel Charger, well the voltage has got to be at least 12 v, otherwise it's not going to do anything to the battery, but I imagine the current is quite low, perhaps 1Amp trickle charge.

This is the Spec for one on ebay at £30

No Load Voltage: 20.8V DC
Short Circuit Current: 1500mA
Load Voltage: 12V
Short Circuit Current: 2A
Output Current: 1000mA(Max.)
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

The panel is of an unknown make, so probably not too sophisticated. I need to do some testing, the lamp going out when connected is puzzling. I’ll be checking the socket wiring, before thinking of replacing. Thanks for replying.