Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

LED lighting

Post by Grumpy21 »

Has anyone converted their exterior lights to LED?

Particularly interested in side lights and indicators and only for safety reasons. Not bothered about headlights as I'm unlikely to use it in the dark and I think its now an MOT issue anyway.

Thanks
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: LED lighting

Post by geoberni »

A - Yes, lots of people have and there is ample discussion about it on the forum across numerous topics. Do some searches and you'll find them. I've posted about my experience as have several others in recent years

B - It is not an MOT issue as also highlighted in the forum. The MOT issue is only with regards cars post 1986.
See here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73440&hilit=MOT#p666092
Basil the 1955 series II

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

beware you will get cars travelling towards you flashing all the time :o
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I have converted mine.

The easiest quickest change is the tail stop lamp. Good quality leds make a significant improvement to both brake lights and tail light. Note I have also bought some cheaper led bulbs off an auction site which were bradley similar to the original type bulbs.

Next time you follow a minor just look how dim the rear tail lights are compared to modern cars.

The replacement indicator bulbs again are much better but a bit more work. You need to change the flasher units and hazard flasher units if you have them fitted. That said they are clearly much brighter.

I have a transition car with combined white indicator flasher units. For the led swap I fitted duel orange flasher and white side light. It's probably safer for other motorists but I prefer the old white flashing light.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

beware you will get cars travelling towards you flashing all the time
I hate being blinded by oncoming traffic, not because they've unintentionally (polite version) left their headlamps on full beam but because their headlights are so (too) bright to start with.
Totally unecessary, in my view, for them to be so bright these days. Halogens were bright enough to see well at night, though Xenons are a nice upgrade.
That said, bright LEDs in stop/tail lights and indicators are a good idea, as standard bulbs can be dulled down by the darker lenses.

You need to change the flasher units
I didn't realise you needed to change the flasher can though.
Does someone have a link to a suitable one for the Minor, which works with LEDs?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

mowogg wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:27 am I have converted mine.

The easiest quickest change is the tail stop lamp. Good quality leds make a significant improvement to both brake lights and tail light. Note I have also bought some cheaper led bulbs off an auction site which were bradley similar to the original type bulbs.

Next time you follow a minor just look how dim the rear tail lights are compared to modern cars.

The replacement indicator bulbs again are much better but a bit more work. You need to change the flasher units and hazard flasher units if you have them fitted. That said they are clearly much brighter.

I have a transition car with combined white indicator flasher units. For the led swap I fitted duel orange flasher and white side light. It's probably safer for other motorists but I prefer the old white flashing light.

Can you point me in the direction of a suitable flasher unit please?

Thanks
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Grumpy21 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:30 am

Can you point me in the direction of a suitable flasher unit please?

Thanks
[/quote]

Basically get an electronic one, to replace the Bi-Metal Thermal one.
LEDs don't draw enough current to cause the Bi-Metal one to heat up and operate.
Kind of understandable since the current draw is often the reason people swap.

If you follow my earlier advice, to search for past discussions, you will find a wealth of info.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Grumpy21
Minor Fan

Post by Grumpy21 »

Thanks for the help, I’ve purchased the one recommended by the classic car led people shown above.

Hopefully my brake and indicator lights will be a bit easier to see from now on.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I used this company but not that flasher unit. I am not saying its wrong bt my was cylindrical plastic. I found a 2 pin electronic one off eBay for the hazards which fitted in the smiths switch.

As before the lights will seem very much brighter
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
This is an update / correction to my earlier post in this topic, I've since found out that the below is the correct (LED equvalent) electronic flasher unit for our Morris Minors:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/produc ... e233&_ss=r
Best wishes,
Mike.