56 MM Pickup

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rchizip
MMOC Member: Yes

56 MM Pickup

Post by Rchizip »

I have a 56 UTE from NZ, rt hand drive. It’s a great running vehicle with a 1098 engine. Previous owner added radio, cd, clock, and gauges (tach, water temp, oil pressure, amp gauge). Wiring has been bodgered up with odd colors, thicknesses, soldered and crimped connectors ( many broken and just hanging). Also a mixture of toggle and push/pull switches used. I plan to put it back as near to original as I can with new wiring harness and switches and maybe retain only oil gauge. Can anyone tell me the switch configuration and show a photo or drawing of what the dashboard should look like? Thanks in advance? I always value members’ advice.
Ron
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: 56 MM Pickup

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Ron,
This should be similar to what yours would have looked like.
Morri Minor dash layout circa 1956.jpg
Morri Minor dash layout circa 1956.jpg (133.23 KiB) Viewed 815 times
I can't say whether you would have the glovebox lids in your UTE or whether they would have been open though.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

1956 - changover year from 803cc split-screen to 948cc single screen in the last quarter of the year. So we don't know which it is yet. However, the dash itself was pretty similar, except the splitties did not have glove box lids, and I doubt whether the 'UTE' did in its 948cc form. For certain, all switches would have been knobs rather than toggles, although brown in the case of 803cc's and black in the 948's.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:15 am 1956 - changover year from 803cc split-screen to 948cc single screen in the last quarter of the year. So we don't know which it is yet. However, the dash itself was pretty similar, except the splitties did not have glove box lids, and I doubt whether the 'UTE' did in its 948cc form. For certain, all switches would have been knobs rather than toggles, although brown in the case of 803cc's and black in the 948's.
Yes, production change over was essentially Sept '56 for UK as I understand it, so I suspect the '56 UTE is a SII Split Screen, by the time it got out shipped to NZ and assembled.
But I'm sure Rchizip can tell us. :wink:

This is probably a good example, showing where the Indicator/traficator switch should be. Not my car unfortunately as mine is up by the speedo.
Interior.jpg
Interior.jpg (463.01 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Basil the 1955 series II