Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Clutchless changes

Post by philthehill »

I am glad that I can raise a laugh but this is not a laughing matter.
You can give all the advice and instruction you like but remember that you have a responsibility to give advice and instruction that is safe to implement.
If you gave advice that led to an accident you could be held indirectly responsible.
Last edited by philthehill on Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

No-one was giving advice about doing it though :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Maybe not advice but process and instruction is the same as advice.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Edward1949 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:25 am Depends on circumstances. There's nothing pointless about driving home clutchless on a lonely road at 3 am rather than a long wait for rescue. On the other hand I wouldn't fancy my chances in the rush hour in a busy city!
I agree, unfortunately, some people are incapable of making that distinction. They'd say 'Well I read it online on the Owner's forum'.
Just as your personal inclination might be to try it a few hundred yards from home on quiet side streets, but someone else might try it when they're an hour away up the local A road.

Sometimes you need to discourage Darwinism.... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

As a matter of interest, I remember a clutch linkage/hydraulic (?) failure on a Mondeo many years ago. The synchro's "clutch" in first gear was strong enough to get the car rolling on the level by easing the gear lever forward, with engine running, but not quite engaging gear until equivalent road speed was achieved. Whether this would work on a Minor's second gear is debatable.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I didn't realise my inquiry would cause so much trouble! To be clear, I have no intention of attempting this. If my clutch linkage failed, I would have the car recovered, and I do try to maintain things so that they do not break in the first place. I think you could possibly end up with a jail sentence if you caused a bad accident and were found to be driving the car with no clutch. I remember reading a few years ago about someone who was given several years after driving a vehicle with a slipping clutch and causing a fatal crash.

That aside, I don't think inquiring about how driving without a clutch is possible is analogous to striking matches next to a barrel of gunpowder. Perhaps it is more similar to asking for the chemical reaction involved in the combustion of gunpowder to be explained.

Anyone stumbling across this thread will also stumble across the various warnings not to do it.

I don't think inquiry is ever pointless. Attempting to calculate how a minor could jump the Grand Canyon could indeed be an interesting and informing exercise! I doubt anyone would be spurred on to try it, though!

On an unrelated note, when I press the clutch in neutral, I often get a thud through the rear wheels. Any ideas on that?

Thanks,
James
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/g ... r-24522520

On the theme of liability for driving vehicle with known "defective" condition, here's an interesting (and obviously tragic) case of driver being charged for ignoring fuel warning light. This could actually open a huge can of worms. Every accident involving a broken down vehicle could now involve experts scrutinising historic service records. Could mean that overrunning a cambelt change by a few thousand miles makes owner liable for consequent accident.
Incidentally, good to see the van driver also charged. If he'd been obeying the simple Highway Code rule of being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear, this tragic accident and countless others could have been avoided.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

James k wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:29 am
That aside, I don't think inquiring about how driving without a clutch is possible is analogous to striking matches next to a barrel of gunpowder. Perhaps it is more similar to asking for the chemical reaction involved in the combustion of gunpowder to be explained.

Anyone stumbling across this thread will also stumble across the various warnings not to do it.

I don't think inquiry is ever pointless. Attempting to calculate how a minor could jump the Grand Canyon could indeed be an interesting and informing exercise! I doubt anyone would be spurred on to try it, though!
Totally agree - it's fairly obvious that it's not a great idea, but barrels of gunpowder? It's just all rather patronising. As is the notion that inquiry is pointless.....

And sorry - regarding a 'thud' when depressing the clutch in neutral (assume you mean when the car is stationary?), I've no idea. I can't see how that could cause a noise from the back axle, as everything should be stationary from the 3rd motion shaft in the gearbox back. I suspect someone else will be more enlightened than I am. And perhaps even provide an analogy to help you understand it better :wink:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Edward1949 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:25 am Depends on circumstances. There's nothing pointless about driving home clutchless on a lonely road at 3 am rather than a long wait for rescue. On the other hand I wouldn't fancy my chances in the rush hour in a busy city!
I quite agree. I have a few times over the years had to drive "clutchless". It isn't something anybody would plan to do of course but is sometimes necessary and not that difficult to master. As others have said, it is worthwhile checking the condition of the Minor linkage from time to time. Generally it is the adjuster rod which fails when it eventually wears through on the angle. My own clutch failures have always been with hydraulics. A Sunbeam Rapier, a Morris 1800 and a Peugeot 304. All some years ago I'm pleased to say!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

My comments and advice is/are not patronising they are just common sense.

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

In addition to the possibility of increased accident risk, bear in mind there will be alot of extra wear on the gearbox. In fact, my gearbox's first/reverse gear failed (well, went very 'clanky', due to a broken tooth) shortly after I had to drive for a period of a few miles (approx. 10) with a failed hydraulic clutch on my Traveller, which made me wish I hadn't bothered! :roll:

Hence, not to be recommended unless you really have to, and then only for very short distances.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I think that we've done this topic enough now, so I'm going to lock it. Any objections, feel free to PM me.