Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Clutchless changes

Post by James k »

Hi,

I've read a few times in the past about clutch linkages failing and people managing to get their cars home using clutchless changes. I'm happy with how to change gear without the clutch when moving but I don't understand how you can pull off. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
James
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Re: Clutchless changes

Post by Edward1949 »

With engine stopped, either:
Put into first and operate the starter, or
Roll start downhill or with a push from a helpful bystander
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Thanks, so it's a case of getting the engine started and the car moving at the same time. How about stopping? Just brake and stall the engine, or switch the ignition off?

I'm not planning on trying this by the way, I'm just curious!
Clayton James
Minor Friendly

Post by Clayton James »

Is it really possible? Now, I am curious to find out how it works.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Of course, you could just carry a few spare clutch linkage spares, or improvise - I did once manage to get a linkage working by using a wire coat hanger scrounged from a dry cleaners.
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Yes, just start the car in first, there is a surprising amount of torque from the starter.

For driving, just rev-match, especially on the down-shift.

For stopping, just feather the throttle so there is little torque on the gearset, and knock into neutral, bring car to stop with the brakes.

Switch off and repeat :)

I don't recommend switching the engine off, as if you have a servo you could lose assistance, equally, 'hypermilers' have tried the technique of switching the engine off, but was deemed a bit of a grey area legally.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

You can also make your journey easier with a little forward planning to minimise stop start situations. I once came home fifty miles without a clutch. My usual exit from a main road was on to a congested roundabout but two exits later there was a lightly used exit so by going further and taking a country route home I managed most of it in top gear.
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Yep, and brake early, slow down, even crawling on idle in first for 50m is OK, and easier than another stop/start!
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If your clutch linkage fails get the likes of the AA to get you home.
To many dangers on the road nowadays to try and drive without a clutch.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Exactly what I did when my linkage broke a couple of years ago, Phil. Apart from traffic, my way home involved too many hills, bends and narrow roads to be worth attempting clutchless - and it was dark to boot..........
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

Better still, carry a spare set of whatever linkages are fitted to your model. They are cheap, and it's not too tedious a task to replace them yourself, provided you can find somewhere safe to do it (and safely raise the car). Or at least you have something for the breakdown man to work with.
A recent MOT to France had two (at least) incidents of broken linkages.
(And even though it's not in the maintenance schedule, keep the whole assembly smeared with grease)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Even better - maintain your clutch linkage so it does not break.

Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

I think this OP was asking about how to achieve it :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The OP may have been asking how to achieve clutch less driving but I would not advise driving without a working clutch and I would also advise that the clutch linkage is examined on a regular basis so that the point of clutch linkage breakage is not reached.
If involved in an accident and the clutch was found to be not working it could be construed as driving a unroadworthy vehicle / not having control of the car with all the consequences that brings.
Trying to learn how to drive with a non working clutch is not worth the effort. Repair the clutch or get recovered.

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Yes, but again, as Bowie69 said, the OP was simply asking about how to achieve a clutchless change. We have all gathered that many think it is foolhardy and reckless :lol:
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Learning or trying to to drive without an operational clutch is like playing with matches next to an open barrel of gunpowder - you do not do it.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

philthehill wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:02 am Learning or trying to to drive without an operational clutch is like playing with matches next to an open barrel of gunpowder - you do not do it.
Love that.
Why enquire about a pointless activity.
Like asking how you jump the Grand Canyon in a Minor, unless you're related to Evel Knievel, it's not a viable enquiry.... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

And folk wonder why the message board becomes less popular as Facebook picks up more followers... :lol:

The analogy between making an enquiry about driving a car without a clutch to 'playing with matches alongside an open barrel of gunpowder' has at least given me an unexpected laugh this morning - it's a little extreme. And rather patronising to suggest that people shouldn't enquire about 'pointless activities', no? Unless I'm missing some irony there (granted it is hard to tell sometimes in this medium).

Mercifully, despite having been reckless enough to do this myself at more than one point in my life, I have not found it as dangerous as an exploding barrel of gunpowder. I appreciate I may have just got lucky though!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

This is much more friendly than facebook. :)
Half the time on facebook people seem not to even read posts properly, or look at the links, given before writing garbage.

Only last night, in a group I'm in, someone posted a link to a press report and from the way they commented, they clearly thought it was recent 'news'.
The report was 21 years old, published in Aug 2000. :roll:
So then the Urine Extraction responses were posted...
Basil the 1955 series II

Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

Depends on circumstances. There's nothing pointless about driving home clutchless on a lonely road at 3 am rather than a long wait for rescue. On the other hand I wouldn't fancy my chances in the rush hour in a busy city!