Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Claiming on insurance for damage caused by garage

Post by James k »

Hi,

As this is a public forum, I don't want to give too much information but I was wondering if anyone had any advice or had dealt with a similar situation.

Basically, my Traveller has been quite badly damaged by a garage. The near side boxing panel, rear wheel arch and the base of the 'b' post have been smashed to pieces with a club hammer or similar. The boxing panel and sills had been replaced recently and were in pristine condition, now they are a mess of mangled steel. Clearly, this is going to be expensive to repair.

There is an added complication in that the garage in question has now been abandoned, as far as I can tell. I have read that it may be possible to claim on insurance. I will ring them to inquire tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar and had any advice. Obviously, I would like to avoid my premium going through the roof.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
James
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Claiming on insurance for damage caused by garage

Post by les »

I think you need to elaborate, there are too many unknowns here. Was the damage done on purpose, from the description you give, it’s appears so. The garage abandoned? No longer trading or done a runner ?
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Hi,

The garage had resprayed the car and were attempting to fit the wood. Clearly it wouldn't fit and this was their solution. Judging by the extent of the damage, it looks like it could have been done in frustration.

Done a runner by the look of it!

Thanks
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I would say that is Criminal Damage so needs reporting to the Police and the resultant Crime Number might help your cause with the Insurance.
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’m sorry to hear this, I’m sure it is very upsetting. Good luck getting some justice.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Geoberni is correct, you need to get a crime number (by reporting it). Your insurance company will require this.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

les wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:36 am I’m sorry to hear this, I’m sure it is very upsetting. Good luck getting some justice.
I'm sure that all of us here wish you good luck in resolving this. It may take some time. Are you able to retrieve the car in the meantime? Have you taken plenty of photographs before the car is moved?
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Hi,

Thanks for the comments! I retrieved the car last month and have been working on putting it back together. The wood had been bodge 'fitted' and was concealing the damage. It was only discovered yesterday when the side was removed. I have got photographs of the area before and after as evidence. My best guess is that they couldn't get the wood to fit, got angry with it and then took their fury out on my car.

Thanks,
James
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I presume people were there when you collected the car from the garage, what did they say, as the mangled damage to the cills you described, would be difficult to hide ? Good luck with the phone call but if they’ve done a runner, who’s going to answer?
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Hi,

The boxing panel was concealed by the wood and, along with the inner wing, had a load of under seal on it so the damage couldn't be seen. The base of the 'b' post had been covered with filler and paint which then broke away when the side was removed, revealing what was underneath.

I understand that from my description, it may sound like I'm exaggerating slightly but it genuinely is just an unbelievable situation. It is totally beyond me how someone could consider doing that to someone else's car. Although, I can understand fully why they would then endeavour to cover it up!

It was the insurance company I was referring to phoning, not the garage. As you say, there won't be anyone to answer.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes I understand, sorry for the misunderstanding. Your description was worrying. I can only wish you well with your endeavours and a good outcome. it’s a disgrace to be treated like this.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

cant see the insurance company being remotely interested,nor the police its a strsight case of bad workmanship,and therefore a civil dispute between you and the garage , since they have done a runner ,by the look of it ,that looks unlikely to proceed unless you can trace the owner. Far too many cowboys out there. Always worth research before handing anthing over for repair to a garage that you don.t know, Feel sorry for you and hope you get it sorted.
Good luck
johngrigg
Minor Friendly

Post by johngrigg »

You may not be able to see it but that is probably because you haven't looked at the policy document. Insurance exists to protect the policy holder against ,civil disutes straight or otherwise. Most policies cover damage however caused accidental ,wilful,negligent criminal etc. The OP should contact his insurer and don't be put off by the counter jumper on the phone . Get them to send you a claim form , fill it out and bung it in. What should happen from there is they pay for the repairs and chàse the perpetrators to recover their costs. That's why you pay your premium. JohnG
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

could be but ,Its not accidental,willful etc. and yes they will (if covered) protect and defend YOU in civil cases in relation to accidental damage ,injury etc allegedly caused by YOU , but it's unlikely to cover you to sue another its purely bad workmanship,trading standards may help,but tracing the owner of the garage is the first major problem. Then there is the added future premiums,Its a no claim ,very rarely a no blame bonus (Unless protected of course). Honestly think its a futile course of action,but who knows .
jimmy167
Minor Friendly

Post by jimmy167 »

Did you pay for the work done ,or did they do a runner without being paid ?
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

kennatt wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:33 am cant see the insurance company being remotely interested,nor the police its a strsight case of bad workmanship,and therefore a civil dispute between you and the garage , since they have done a runner ,by the look of it ,that looks unlikely to proceed unless you can trace the owner. Far too many cowboys out there. Always worth research before handing anthing over for repair to a garage that you don.t know, Feel sorry for you and hope you get it sorted.
Good luck
I agree. As a former police officer I’d expect the police to say it’s a matter for the civil courts. You could never prove beyond all reasonable doubt it was criminal damage. You could prove they damaged it, on the balance of probability, with poor workmanship.

I fully empathise with you and hope you resolve the situation. Good luck.
Last edited by MorrisJohn on Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Sadly, I have to agree with MJ and K that you won't get past first base with your insurers :(

I spent 40 years either as an insurance underwriting manager or later, as a commercial insurance broker and I can reassure you that no policy in the world will cover shoddy workmanship.....either in a garage or elsewhere.

The initial post did perhaps suggest willful or malicious damage which would be covered by insurance if, say, your vehicle was parked on the street and some random moron attacked it with a lump hammer.

If you can bear it, please let us know how you get on, either in having your car properly repaired or, hopefully, tracing the garage proprietors and suing them.

Alan
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Any photos of the damage ?