Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Shut down

Post by les »

No comments on the lack of access to the forum over the last couple of days. Maybe it was my end? :o
Plin
Minor Fan

Re: Shut down

Post by Plin »

:( Not working for me either lately.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Down for about three days in total I believe?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Ditto
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

It was down all weekend, Admin Mike (as opposed to other Mikes) actually posted it up on the facebook page on Sunday Morning I believe. it's hard to tell when because fb only tell how many days ago it was, not the date/time.
It might have been Saturday afternoon when it went down for all I know, I was working on essential house DIY all weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/morrism ... 218896702/
Basil the 1955 series II

Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nourish »

Most importantly why was it down - would admin prefer we all went to the FB site?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It went down at approx 15:21 on Saturday, came back this morning. I am waiting to hear from the supplier as to why it failed, but not holding my breath. No, FB is not the replacement, we are working on a replacement system, but it does take time, so please bear with us.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

simmitc wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:50 pm I am waiting to hear from the supplier as to why it failed
They want more money !
Re facebook ——- that’s been the downfall of the LCV register, over 3 weeks with no posts recently!!
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

I think no one is surprised anymore when the site goes down, it happens so frequently. :( I know I wasn't
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

simmitc wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:50 pm It went down at approx 15:21 on Saturday,
I was pretty sure I couldn't access it Friday night onwards. Have to admit I thought maybe it was me when today I got on and saw posts from Saturday morning when I know I couldn't get on.
simmitc wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:50 pm we are working on a replacement system, but it does take time.
System or server? Because the system as in the phpBB forums seems fine (bar the lousy attachment limits and minimum character setting :P). The web server on the other hand dealing out error 500 all weekend seems a bit flakey :D I presume you couldn't (or aren't allowed to) telnet in to just reboot the server?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The service is provided by our IT provider, the Club's IT supplier. We recently discovered that they outsource the server hosting to another company; and you're right, we can't get access to the server. There's supposed top be an auto restart, but it doesn't seem to work very well.

We're working on a new host, where I've installed Ubuntu 20.04 with a clean copy of PHPBB. Before going live ith it, we want to be absolutely certain that we can transfer the existing posts and attachments, and that it all hangs together correctly, including working backups and restores; and that it can be administered easily by any suitable person - not everybody is familiar with Linux command line access, so I'm writing scripts and producing loads of documentation.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

simmitc wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:29 pm absolutely certain that we can transfer the existing posts and attachments
Hopefully it hasn't changed much over the years. Last time I recall I did something like it, phpMyAdmin was the easiest way, export users, import users, export threads, import threads and be amazed it didn't all break :D

It's kinda weird how it's always the forum host server, never the main site.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I thought it was said that the club was changing the server :o
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

les wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:36 pm
simmitc wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:50 pm I am waiting to hear from the supplier as to why it failed
They want more money !
Re facebook ——- that’s been the downfall of the LCV register, over 3 weeks with no posts recently!!
Advantage with fb being members much more eager & enthusiastic to help, whereas forums - on certain subjects - lucky to get a reply or indeed correct information
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

whereas forums - on certain subjects - lucky to get a reply or indeed correct information
To be fair I think that is because this forum (or it's service provider) is so unrelaible these days.
I can remember when it was really good, with plenty of knowledgeable people on here, only too willing to help.
This was only a few years back too, as I first joined in April 2008.
If it became reliable again then maybe members would be tempted back.
Although I also (sadly) think we've lost a few since I joined.
Best wishes,
Mike.

NB: Once the provider has been changed and we have a reliable service again, the above will also be dependant on the club promoting the site to attract members back, to give it a second chance.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

POMMReg wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:16 pm

Advantage with fb being members much more eager & enthusiastic to help, whereas forums - on certain subjects - lucky to get a reply or indeed correct information
Whereas the downside of fb 'eagerness and enthusiasm' , whatever the Group or Page, is having to filter the sensible responses from the complete and utter drivel posted by people who feel the need to comment, even if they are totality ignorant on the subject. To they extent they will post irrelevant comments such as ...
"My brother/father/uncle had one of those...."

Who give a damn about what your Brother/Father/Uncle had... when the question was about tyres for a Traveller... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Basil the 1955 series II

Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

It was down, it’s up now, it’ll go back down again sometime... we’re grown ups - we can manage...

I for instance have invested in the Bumper Book of Sudoku and 10 x 3000 piece jigsaws
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Do none of you have Minors to drive and work on? :lol: