Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: New Fuel Problem

Post by ampwhu »

Filled mine up today with super, I'd never used it before.

Van now fly's let me tell you.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Ethanol comes from crops grown specially for the purpose. Vast tracts of land have been turned over to these intensive monocultures with all the attendant pesticides, chemicals, energy used for harvesting and processing into fuel. This is good for The Environment.
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:25 pm Ethanol comes from crops grown specially for the purpose. Vast tracts of land have been turned over to these intensive monocultures with all the attendant pesticides, chemicals, energy used for harvesting and processing into fuel. This is good for The Environment.
Whilst at the same time a significant proportion of the world don't have enough food to eat. So, lose-lose really.

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

There is enough food to feed everybody, it's just not evenly distributed enough. ;)

Agreed it seems silly, prima facie, to farm biofuels with all the accompanying issues that come with industrial farming and land use. Perhaps another transitional technology before we have something better like the nascent fuels made via atmospheric carbon extraction.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

i'm a firm believer that hydrogen fuel cells are the future for transport. None of the issues around mining for minerals, but clearly need enough renewable energy to make the hydrogen and technology for cells - quite a way off unfortunately
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’ve been reading a bit about alternative propulsion methods, although not suitable for road use, apparently Warp drive isn’t as impossible as once thought ! :D
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I've not been on the forum for a while and my thoughts turned to the fuelling and its possible effect on the Minor.
As far as i can see regular use will not allow the fuel to absorb water so a regularly used vehicle should not have any issues.

Those vehicles which are stored more than driven should drain the tank.

I have a 3.5 litre V6 shogun and unfortunately that drains the petrol tank in no time, but I cannot convert it to run on LPG.

So my fuel wont have time to absorb water in either my Minor or the Shogun.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I have a 3.5 litre V6 shogun
So you're the one that kick started all the stroppy teenagers in extinction rebellion! :lol: :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Mick Lynch »

dudload wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:46 pm i'm a firm believer that hydrogen fuel cells are the future for transport. None of the issues around mining for minerals, but clearly need enough renewable energy to make the hydrogen and technology for cells - quite a way off unfortunately
Ammonia fuel is the way forward with ships. DESME in Korea have built ammonia fueled container ships.
Ammonia can be extracted from the air using electrolysis. It’s non flammable, if the tanks are breached it leaks to atmosphere. Liquid ammonia Is run through a reactor and using heat (scavenged from the exhaust) is cracked into nitrogen and importantly H2 which is then burnt in a gas turbine.

We may see this as the fuel for cars. Might be a bit stinky.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

So you're the one that kick started all the stroppy teenagers in extinction rebellion! :lol: :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.

[/quote]

Never underestimate stroppy teenagers. When I was one we tried to point out that the war in Vietnam might not be an entirely good idea. It’s funny how history repeats itself.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Plus those protesting for XR are also normally older, more financially secure members. It's a deliberate part of their strategy.

They can afford to be arrested and not lose their incomes and end up homeless, and so on. My generation and younger who are more often stuck renting places for two-thirds of their income or more, and are in pracarious work, not so free to take risks.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

ianmack wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:06 am
Never underestimate stroppy teenagers. When I was one we tried to point out that the war in Vietnam might not be an entirely good idea. It’s funny how history repeats itself.
The difference as I see it is back then people were allowed to hold a view contrary to those of the protestors without being shouted down, demonised, hounded out of jobs, no platformed etc.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The difference as I see it is back then people were allowed to hold a view contrary to those of the protestors without being shouted down, demonised, hounded out of jobs, no platformed etc.
Seconded. The left wing / PC brigade have too much power and don't tolerate opinions contrary to their own, no matter if they are based on fact / experience or not.
I have to admit though, that looking back on it, I never saw the point of the vietnam war.

We'd better get back to the fuel problems though, as this is veering off in a different direction, heading for the 'Off Topic' section I think. :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

I am not sure how far we need to look ahead regarding this, not too far when you reach my age.
But, the bigger problem will come after 2030.
My prediction is, because internal combustion engines are being phased out, the next step will be to tax fossil fuel cars, or fossil fuels to the hilt.
If tax is placed on the fuel, this will be no great hardship for those of us that run our cars intermittently.
If a form of car tax is introduced, then it will affect us all.
My feeling is it will be placed on fuel, a lot of voters own classic cars.
For my part, I think the infernal combustion engine has to be phased out, if we want to survive that is.
Unless we convert to hydrogen.
But, the steam engine came and went, so will the engine as we know it.
Where angels fear to tread
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

After 2030 and perhaps even as we approach it I think the greater risk is that as demand falls petrol stations will become few and far between. The smaller ones have already been squeezed out and the present type function viably only with big sales volumes.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hopefully a viable alternative to petrol will become available. You would think the incentive to find one would be there, given how big the classic car movement is and how much revenue it generates for the UK economy.
If it also generates similar amounts accross the EU and the USA, then you would hope it would be too great a source of funding for governments to want to just kill it off by rendering our cars 'museum exhibits only'.
Converting to electric will only appeal to a few owners and then only to those who can afford the expense or justify it to their families.
Rendering a movement that generates £7.2 Billion for the UK economy alone, into a niche 'hobby' for the rich few with the room for private museums, has to be seen as madness.
Best wishes,
Mike.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

When has madness ever stopped any Government ?
If when William Morris had first entered the fray, My Grandfather was told we would all have motor vehicles one day, he would have laughed his socks off.
High Technological solutions always feel like the ultimate at the time.
Integrated circuits, pocket sized telephones, surface mounted technology, A.I. all seem the epitome of high tech now, but of course as time passes they will become quaint to see.
Even the 80s brick size mobile phones were the biz once and have become things of fun along with fax machines.
Burning fossil fuels though has to stop, any arguments against climate change through excess co2 hold no credence now.
Just ask anyone fighting fires in the States or of all places Siberia.
It rained in Antarctica for the first time in thousands of years just the other day.
One not so well known solution exists and I found very interesting, not sure how easily it can be scaled up, but its worth a look at the video on the home page, click on the bottom right corner

https://climeworks.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwm ... lsrc=aw.ds
Where angels fear to tread
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Climate change and unfounded rants about political correctness taken straight from the gutter press aside...

Perhaps fuel/water separators as used in marine engines could do something to protect carburettors?

E.g. https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/ ... separators