Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MacD
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

New Fuel Problem

Post by MacD »

How are we going to keep our cars on the road with E5 fuel being replaced by E10? As of now a local petrol station only has E10 It's a disaster.
morris van
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New Fuel Problem

Post by morris van »

Super unleaded is E5 but more expensive :x My nephew has already started selling his classic cars and I was at a car club last night and some of them were now considering selling their cars.
Last edited by morris van on Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

MacD wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:43 pm How are we going to keep our cars on the road with E5 fuel being replaced by E10? As of now a local petrol station only has E10 It's a disaster.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332743797254 ... 24b983945b

Don't despair, this Millers VSPe additive claims to protect from Ethanol up to E10 (and is a lead substitute and octane booster). Also, some fuel brands will continue to offer a higher octane alternative which will not be 10% Ethanol.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MacD wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:43 pm How are we going to keep our cars on the road with E5 fuel being replaced by E10? As of now a local petrol station only has E10 It's a disaster.
Just look at all the past discussions....
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73981

IT IS NOT A DISASTER!

Going Lead Free was going to be the end of Civilisation...
The Millennium Bug was going to be the end of.... oh, wait a minute, that was 20+ years ago and nothing really happened...

Just stop panicking, they've had it in the USA for about 20 years and do you see the US Minor Owners in Hysterics?

have you seen the numbers of 40 -50 year old trucks and other motors that drive around the USA.....
The biggest thing seems to be soft components like gaskets or hoses that may be damaged by prolonged exposure, followed by corrosion if the Ethanol is allowed to absorb too much water from the atmosphere.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree with you Bernie. My Minor still hasn't got an "unleaded cylinder head" yet. We'll still be driving our Morris Minors for some time yet I think :wink:
I remember loads of people changing their cars 20 plus years ago because they "wouldn't run on unleaded" :roll:
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

We have had E10 in France for a few years alongside E5. I'm not worried. I remember all the fuss with unleaded and the promise that all our classics would fall to bits the next time we took them out unless we bought some sort of snake oil that would increase the octane rating of deadly unleaded.
As far as I can tell the only thing we need to change is the flexible fuel line in the engine bay if it has a rubber lining. It may be true that E10 absorbs some water but so does brake fluid which is why we change it every year (or not). If the car is used regularly then it will be refilled with fresh fuel that has not had time to absorb any water.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Get some big containers and get lots on super unleaded in one go to save worrying.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you’ve got a few grand laying around. Hardly practical anyway !

Clayton James
Minor Friendly

Post by Clayton James »

morris van wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:59 pm Super unleaded is E5 but more expensive :x My nephew has already started selling his classic cars and I was at a car club last night and some of them were now considering selling their cars.
Oh no, it seems like they don't have a choice but to let go of their vehicle.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Don’t panic Captain Mainwaring. Don’t panic! Don’t panic!!!
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Just pay an extra couple of pounds and stick super unleaded in it.

Selling a car because of E10 seems like a bit of an over reaction.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

People selling their cars because as an alternative to they have to buy a slightly more expensive fuel? I have heard it all now. :lol:
Let’s put this into perspective folks……..
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

Just thinking aloud here, and trying to keep things positive . If non-E10 becomes unavailable, or if Ethanol content is pushed up to 15% or even more, there must be some straightforward modifications which will become necessary as problems occur in classic cars in the future. After a bit of on-line research it seems that the engine itself is the least vulnerable part. Ethanol-proof kits could be offered to modify seals etc in carburettors, Ethanol-ready fuel lines are already available. Biggest issue could be the original steel petrol tanks, but I would imagine that a solution could be found, even if it meant a brand new tank in suitable material.
MacD
Minor Fan

Post by MacD »

Hi
Thanks for all the replies.I only noticed all the other replies after I had posted. I know it is not a disaster….that was only a wee bit of exaggeration on my part.
Thanks again.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I visited the gov E10 fuel compatibility site and found that my car model, (not a Minor) Is compatible from 1989 models onward, great. However i thought let’s go further, so I called the manufacturer to ask them, after a while the reply was —- non compatible.
The compatibility site did want to make the point that they were not responsible for the info. So perhaps not much point in giving it. I might call again in the future, what’s the betting I get a different answer?
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

sounds like the market will be flooded with unwanted cheap Minor's :D
Flywheel
Minor Fan

Post by Flywheel »

For myself regarding the dreaded E10, I remain very optimistic.

If we consider the wealth of knowledge and practical experience on this forum, solutions will be found.

I'm certain that taking the classic car, bike, and commercial vehicle clubs as a whole good brains and expertise will in the end win through.

C'Mon now, stop and think before you sell your classic. Hold on people.

I'll agree this will pose a very unwanted problem for us all, however in the end problems are part and parcel of classic ownership eh?

Take a deep breath, the fight is on and we are all ready. Good luck to one and all.👍
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? :roll:
W. Clement Stone
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If your Minor is not used that often - make sure that your fuel tank has a drain plug so that the E10 can be drained when the vehicle is not being used.
Regular use of the vehicle should see a turnover of the E10 petrol which will restrict the ability of the petrol to absorb water.
It is my intention (including my garden machinery) to make sure that there is no fuel left in the tanks when not in use.
We will overcome this difficulty in due course so allowing us to get on with enjoying our classic vehicles 8) :D

King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

A couple of years ago I bought an SU Stay Up kit for the carburettor on my Triumph TR6 motorcycle with a float and valve suitable for ethanol fuel. It now runs on E10. No doubt there will be similar kits for our cars.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.