Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Ebay

Post by POMMReg »

2 dodgy Minor's sold on ebay recently....

Who would buy a Minor based only on the v5 info provided?

Could fill over a page on the differences between a 1964 & a 1971 vehicle, yet ppl are perfectly happy to hand over several £1k's on something that MAY have a dubious history & won't be legally insured.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Re: Ebay

Post by Mick Lynch »

Aye, caveat emptor. Formerly a resident of the UK and aware of the problem of ‘ringers’ I think my new homeland has some processes the DVLA could benefit from.

Everything in Canada is based on the VIN. There are number plates but these are issued to the person, not the vehicle.

MoTs and taxation is the same as the UK. All the info is computerized but;
The MoT is a sticker on the inside of the windscreen, visible to all
The tax disc is a sticker on the number plate, visible to all

But when you sell a car you must peel the MoT sticker off the windscreen - which shreds it. This means you can’t sell a car with a valid inspection forcing the new buyer to get a new MoT.
Obviously the new owner needs to have their own number plates to put on the car to drive it away.

With classics the process is the same, but if the vehicle is over 30 years you can get an ‘antique’ plate which is reduced road tax cost (about C$14 for two years) and exemption from the MoT.

A vehicle is considered an antique for the purpose of obtaining an antique licence plate if:

A vehicle is considered an antique for the purpose of obtaining an antique licence plate if:

the vehicle is 30 or more model years old; and
is a passenger motor vehicle, light commercial motor vehicle that has a registered weight of 5000 kgs or less, or motorcycle.

The owner of an antique vehicle who wishes to obtain antique licence plates must meet the following eligibility criteria:

the owner must be a resident of Nova Scotia;
the owner must have another registered motor vehicle in his/her name;
the owner must provide proof of insurance, and must maintain valid insurance at all times.
the owner is a member of an antique club, and the secretary of the club has signed the application form indicating that the vehicle has been tested for originality, running order and safety.

So you need to have third party verification by a club and a designated club mechanic.
You can only register a vehicle in your name in person at Provincial government offices “Access Nova Scotia”. To do this you need valid insurance. Each trip I make to Access NS I end up taking a folder of info!

If you are stopped by the police, they have already called in the plate, know who you are and by default if you have outstanding warrants, tickets etc. If you can’t prove who you are then they will impound the vehicle and another trip to Access Nova Scotia (and C$200 is needed to get a release ticket)

Cumbersome yes but pretty secure. The downside is you can’t just own and run a classic as your primary vehicle. It must be a second car. Unfairly this prohibits people on a budget, or people without the parking space for more than one car. If you are a ‘minor’ at home, then your parents can include you on their primary vehicle.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, just thought some people might like to see how other places deal with classics!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

If a Jag E type doesn't have matching numbers, value goes down, yet a 1971 Austin Minor with a 1964 id isn't questioned.

I might be wrong, did BMC make pre-production Austin LCVs (with BL paint & trim) way back in 1964?

It's pretty exaspirating, but I doubt things will ever change.
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

The owner of an antique vehicle who wishes to obtain antique licence plates must meet the following eligibility criteria:

the owner must be a resident of Nova Scotia;
the owner must have another registered motor vehicle in his/her name;
the owner must provide proof of insurance, and must maintain valid insurance at all times.
the owner is a member of an antique club, and the secretary of the club has signed the application form indicating that the vehicle has been tested for originality, running order and safety.
Some interesting points there, however I note yours are not completely 'road tax free' (Historic vehicle status) like over here.
I also note amongst the criteria you quote the line: 'the owner must have another registered motor vehicle in his/her name'. (Presumably modern?)
So implying restricted usage, namely the authorities are not expecting you to use it everyday (even if you'd like to) and, by the inclusion of this line, imply that your classic will loose it's 'antique status' / reduced tax / MOT exemption (a separate issue / controversial topic by itself over here) if you are found to be doing so.
So (IMO) some of the things you suggest may be a positive, however I personally wouldn't trade my right to unrestricted usage for them.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

So implying restricted usage, namely the authorities are not expecting you to use it everyday (even if you'd like to) and, by the inclusion of this line, imply that your classic will loose it's 'antique status' / reduced tax / MOT exemption (a separate issue / controversial topic by itself over here) if you are found to be doing so.
So (IMO) some of the things you suggest may be a positive, however I personally wouldn't trade my right to unrestricted usage for them.
Mike,
Just spotted this. Looks like the notifications is knackered!

You made some assumptions about the need for a ‘primary’ vehicle and about restricted use. That’s my fault as I didn’t explain the reason.

The primary vehicle insurance and road tax you pay subsidise the ‘antique’ plate and there are no restrictions on when or how long you run the ‘antique’. All year round if you want... but you wouldn’t want to - more later.

The line which says you need insurance and must keep it current relates to the primary vehicle. This is because the primary vehicles insurance extends to the ‘antique’ as 3rd party.

You can take out fully comprehensive insurance of course either individually or via a clubs group policy which costs pence to join! Imagine you a a member of the MMOC, you pay your subscription, and this means your car is automatically insured alongside everyone elses.

Example, in the UK I had a Fiat, Austin A55 mk2 and MGB. The good wife had a Fiat and a Wolseley. We had to pay insurance on five cars and road tax on three. If I had the same vehicles here I would be paying two insurances and two taxes... and if anything caught my fancy I would just get it and drive it anywhere - all legally.

If I only wanted to drive a Morris Minor as my one and only car, I can do. But I have to pay full tax and comply with three Federal vehicle conditions related to winter safety. I would need daytime running lights fitted. I would need a third high line brake light fitted. I would need winter tyres between November and April. Antique status negates these requirements.

Now as to unrestricted use... you wouldn’t want to. Two reasons.

The first - Winter is brutal. Freezing rain, blizzards, snow, salt and the risk of ending up upside down in a ditch.
There is an annual ‘snow clearing budget’ in Halifax alone of C$12.1m. That’s a lot of salt!!!

The second - the distances considered ‘normal’ for commuting, shopping or just going to the post office are vast. I have a 40km round trip to go pick up a parcel from my local post office, 65km to the nearest off licence and 125km to work and back!

So look at it this way. You have a ‘sacrificial’ vehicle for winter, and a ‘cherished’ car for summer.

Having owned and driven classics in the UK and here I can say here is probably easier on the whole, definitely cheaper and there is a lot of support and clubs and to POMMRegs original post it’s a lot harder to buy or pass off a ringer.
Attachments
Someone’s sacrificial car
Someone’s sacrificial car
2CC935FB-8A69-4283-8EC2-51BE21B9C4BE.jpeg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

Mick Lynch wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:06 pm
Everything in Canada is based on the VIN. There are number plates but these are issued to the person, not the vehicle.
Hi Mick,
Thanks for a really informative post. It's always interesting to learn how other countries or provinces deal with vehicle registration and historic vehicles.

I can see the Canadian system has some advantages. The problem with basing everything on the VIN, is it would appear to make researching the history of an old car from photos or memory, almost impossible. I know most of the registration numbers for my fathers and grandfathers cars, but I couldn't tell you any of the VIN's or chassis numbers :wink:

There are plenty of vehicles in the UK, which are culturally / historically significant or famous for some reason. Most are identifiable via their number plates. I suppose we're quite lucky in the UK, to have a system which allows a plate first issued in 1903 to still be used on a vehicle. In fact a vehicle could have had the same plate for 117 years :D

Before the standard 17-digit VIN system came along in the late 70's, some manufactures just used sequential numbers. So, in theory it was entirely possible for multiple old vehicles to have the same chassis number, but different number plates of course.

If number plates are issued to the person, not the vehicle, does Canada have the problem of criminals cloning plates?
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

I’m sure there is some criminal activity somehow, probably peeling the tax stickers off the plate, but I’ve not heard it mentioned in everyday conversation...

The plates are pressed aluminium. Pre 1930 plates were ceramic fired clay!

VIN vs Number plate. The “NS registered certification of ownership” equivalent to a V5 lists the names and addresses of 7 previous keepers, the change of ownership date, the price they paid for it, and major repairs it has had via insurance and if the vehicle has been sold as ‘repairable’ or ‘non repairable for spares only’. The history is kept intact - probably as a side effect of bureaucracy rather than the intent !

Number plates in the Arctic territory of Nunavut have polar bear shaped number plates. I want one! (But don’t want to go live in a snow desert)
Attachments
C86D554A-A58A-4C85-9804-7E60A8AA3BAC.jpeg
C86D554A-A58A-4C85-9804-7E60A8AA3BAC.jpeg (356.93 KiB) Viewed 946 times
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

A Nissan in Canada?! Good Lord what has the world come to. Nothing from Oshawa or Windsor.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

It's the hoards of lumberjacks with their mighty redwood's AND blokes in breeches & red coats that scares ME!🤣
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay............................
cue musical notes.............jpg
cue musical notes.............jpg (116.45 KiB) Viewed 885 times
:lol: :lol:
(Search for the Monty Python song for those not in the know.....)
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Mick Lynch wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:53 pm ‘cept health and safety now...

https://www.marks.com/en/dakota-workpro ... %5D=ORANGE
But you can also get your safety hat in a range of styles, including....
https://www.marks.com/en/mccordick-glov ... ize%5D=ONE
:lol:
Basil the 1955 series II