Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
frankiepuss
MMOC Member: Yes

Owners Handbook

Post by frankiepuss »

Hello

I have just bought a 1971 Traveller which came without an owners manual. Is there a separate one for the Traveller? Or is it just the Standard Minor 1000 version?

Would appreciate some guidance.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Owners Handbook

Post by jagnut66 »

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

OR...

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/handbook

If you want a sparkling new copy. :D

Congratulations on your new baby.

Don
Clayton James
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Clayton James »

Are you planning to modify it that's why you're looking for a manual?
frankiepuss

Post by frankiepuss »

Thanks for your responses guys. Have ordered that first one Mike. I wanted to get in quick as I like the idea of an original one. I thought I'd had a good look on Ebay but I hadn't spotted that one - thanks so much.

I just bought this car which has been extensively restored. It sat in a garage for four years unused and now I've got it. Drove it home 12 miles and apart from weak brakes ( they're all like that I guess ) it runs beautifully in every respect. The wipers worked when I turned them on - and then they wouldn't switch off - I messed with the leads and now they don't work at all - probably caused a short !

Car has totally no history with it. I'll look to initially re-commission it. A bit of indulgence and it'll be top-notch.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

They do not all have 'weak brakes'. Depends how well set-up and maintained they are on a standard car. Of course, if you start ramping up the engine size excessively then its a different matter.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As above, drum brakes aren't that bad, they will probably need bleeding through completely and fresh fluid put in.
Jack it up, put it on stands, then take the drums off and if it all looks okay just clean them up with thinners, then put them back together and readjust them on the adjustment screws -- full on tight, so they won't move, then back them off one or two clicks, just enough so then turn freely again.
Then when you are happy all the mechanical parts are okay, bleed the system through.
Put the wheels back on and try the brakes, either jam the foot brake on with something or if you have a mate to help you with bleeding and testing, even better.
While it's up in the air grease all the nipples, don't forget the handbrake cables.
Pull the handbrake on and, if it needs it, tighten the cables up using the brass nuts to be found under the handbrake lever itself (inside the car). If the cables are okay it should only need a few turns on each side, just enough for the handbrake to lock the back wheels.
Hopefully, back on the road, you'll see an improvement. The only thing you can't do with drums is an emergency stop, at least not very well.....
Still, they teach you to plan ahead and leave a nice gap between you and the driver in front. :D
This is a good kit to have (not just available at Halfords by the way), if you have to do them on your own (or even if you have an assistant):

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... RBH&adurl=
Plus, for greasing the nipples, the 'G' coupler makes things allot better and ensures the grease goes into the nipple and not just all round it and on the floor:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313199999236 ... Sw1Z9dEZ5s
Apologies if this an 'granny to suck eggs' exercise, as I don't know how much you already know but hopefully it'll help someone.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

We all need help.Just nice you can be bothered to take the time.This site would not be any use without people like you.Thank you
frankiepuss

Post by frankiepuss »

Thanks for all the advice Mike.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Brakes should indeed be good stoppers, I expect the wheel cylinders are partially seized after standing for 4 years.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

This is the method I use for brake-bleeding - it works every time, you don't need to shanghai some other poor soul into pedal-pressing duties and it costs absolutely nothing:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-Q_lP0dOk&t=325s