noise difference

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
redcorgi
MMOC Member: Yes

noise difference

Post by redcorgi »

Hi All, Having driven a 948cc saloon car for quite some time i find it quiet compared to a 1098cc traveller, my question is all travellers more noisy than saloon cars your thoughts please.
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: noise difference

Post by King Kenny »

Yes, Travellers have more room for vibration and noise to generate.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Lots of squeaks and rattles!
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

As above. Plus the fact that the 948 is acknowledged to be smoother than the 1098. Older Minors were less plasticky, perhaps the choice of materials for car interiors made them feel more refined. I've owned all series of post-war Minors and I would say that the side valve 918 was the sweetest runner of them all.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Maybe consider damping out some of the noise.
Good underlay and carpets can help, renewing suspension damper oil can smooth the ride out, replacing my old cross-plies with radial tyres improved things a little too.
When I removed the bag of mint imperials from the glove box, that made a world of difference.
Small steps, but they all help.
Where angels fear to tread
Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

moggiethouable wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:16 am Maybe consider damping out some of the noise.
Good underlay and carpets can help, renewing suspension damper oil can smooth the ride out, replacing my old cross-plies with radial tyres improved things a little too.
Good advice.
Small details make a difference, check that all apertures in the bulkhead are well-sealed or grommeted, especially the bonnet-release pull-through. Similarly, toe-board and floor apertures. Make sure tappet clearances aren't too wide, wheels are well-balanced. Also a slightly out of balance propshaft can create annoying vibes on long journeys.
redcorgi

Post by redcorgi »

Thanks everyone, the traveller has had rear gas shocks conversion which i think is quite harsh but that's just my opinion, also think the prop shaft is slightly out of balance in around 50mph, all the suggestions mentioned will be taken on board in the search for silence lol