Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
minormarc
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Colourtune

Post by minormarc »

Hi all. Could someone please tell me if it's the 10mm Colourtune kit I need for my 1098 or another model? The 10mm kit seems like it's for motorcycles although I'd be happy if it was what I needed because it's quite a bit cheaper than the 14mm version.

Thank you in advance.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Colourtune

Post by geoberni »

You need the 14mm one.
For example, the Champion N5C is a 14mm plug.
Basil the 1955 series II

minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

Thank you geoberni.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

minormarc wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:16 pm Hi all. Could someone please tell me if it's the 10mm Colourtune kit I need for my 1098 or another model? The 10mm kit seems like it's for motorcycles although I'd be happy if it was what I needed because it's quite a bit cheaper than the 14mm version.

Thank you in advance.
Did you ever get your colourtune and how did you find it? I’m considering getting one myself.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I've got one, and think it's brilliant.
No messing about trying to guess if you have the right mixture, just alter it until you see the right colour flame.
I had one back in the 70s/80s, heavens knows what happened to it, so after I got Basil, I got a replacement off ebay.
Basil the 1955 series II

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

geoberni wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:14 pm I've got one, and think it's brilliant.
No messing about trying to guess if you have the right mixture, just alter it until you see the right colour flame.
I had one back in the 70s/80s, heavens knows what happened to it, so after I got Basil, I got a replacement off ebay.
Thanks Berni. Tried to buy one last night but it seems everywhere is out of stock! Even eBay.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MorrisJohn wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:19 am
geoberni wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:14 pm I've got one, and think it's brilliant.
Thanks Berni. Tried to buy one last night but it seems everywhere is out of stock! Even eBay.
They do demand a good price. There are some on ebay.
You need to check that the listing is for a 14mm one, not everyone knows there are different sizes.

This one on ebay started at £25 and is now at £41
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265352837796
This one is currently at £21
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304180467128
Basil the 1955 series II

minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

Hi MorrisJohn. Yes I did manage to get one from eBay, thank you for asking. The box was knackered but the bits you use were pretty much unused. I'd go so far as to say it had probably been used just once. I have now used it as well and I found that you could turn the mixture nut quite a lot whilst still obtaining the right colour from the Colortune plug. I think I read in the instructions that the blue colour should be achieved after adjusting the nut until the yellow colour just disappears i.e., I think the idea is to not keep turning it.

Also, the HT lead didn't attach securely to the flimsy conductor thing (I love using the proper terms!) so I have used an old tip from a spark plug which screws on nicely. Now the HT lead should fit on there properly so I might give it another go later today. The weather is going to take a turn for the worse from tomorrow, so today is the best chance beforehand.

Just as an aside, I find it strange that instructions tend to say screw the nut up or turn clockwise to weaken the mixture when viewed from underneath. Who ever adjusts the carburettor from underneath? Very strange, but there we go.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

minormarc wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:49 am

Just as an aside, I find it strange that instructions tend to say screw the nut up or turn clockwise to weaken the mixture when viewed from underneath. Who ever adjusts the carburettor from underneath? Very strange, but there we go.
Well I would imagine it's to make it completely clear to people which way to adjust.
if they don't make it clear, someone's going to get it wrong. Guaranteed.
Anyone with any sort of engineering background would almost certainly understand that directions to turn something clockwise or anticlockwise would by default be as seen looking at the item you're turning, wherever it may be.

You only have to look at some of the confusing posts people make on this Forum on all manner of subjects, to realise that the same cannot be said for everyone.
Basil the 1955 series II

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks gents. I have ordered one from the Austin Healey spares site, though they’re a little unclear as to whether it’s actually in stock. We shall see if one turns up :lol:

minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

geoberni wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:05 pm
minormarc wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:49 am

Well I would imagine it's to make it completely clear to people which way to adjust.
if they don't make it clear, someone's going to get it wrong. Guaranteed.
Anyone with any sort of engineering background would almost certainly understand that directions to turn something clockwise or anticlockwise would by default be as seen looking at the item you're turning, wherever it may be.

You only have to look at some of the confusing posts people make on this Forum on all manner of subjects, to realise that the same cannot be said for everyone.
Yes, I understand but you'd think all the instructions would say adjust the nut anti-clockwise from the top as I would suggest most owners would adjust it from the top. Also, the term anti would conjure up making something less e.g.,weaker. Perhaps it's just me.

Anyway, I did use it and re-adjusted the valves and timing and the car is running as well as it has ever done. I'm not going to tinker further with the timing as I like the way it runs now and I don't want to upset that.

Thanks for coming back to me about the Colortune. A good investment although it probably won't be used an awful lot.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

minormarc wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:25 pm
Perhaps it's just me.
Perhaps we should leave it at that...... :wink:
Anti, as a prefix, means against or opposite.

Antisocial - Not Social
Anticlimax - a disappointing decline after a previous rise
Antidote - Something to counteract a poison
Anti-inflammatory - Reduces Inflammation
Antifreeze - Prevent Freezing
Anticlockwise - Not Clockwise

...and so on....
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Sounds like there’s no getting away from it ! :D

minormarc
Minor Friendly

Post by minormarc »

geoberni wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:55 pm
minormarc wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:25 pm
Perhaps it's just me.
Perhaps we should leave it at that...... :wink:
Anti, as a prefix, means against or opposite.

Antisocial - Not Social
Anticlimax - a disappointing decline after a previous rise
Antidote - Something to counteract a poison
Anti-inflammatory - Reduces Inflammation
Antifreeze - Prevent Freezing
Anticlockwise - Not Clockwise

...and so on....
I wonder what my Anti Margaret would think about this?
1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

What about antipasto then?