Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

E85 fuel

Post by ndevans »

I know there's been a lot of discussion on high ethanol fields on here, and I don't really think I want to reopen that discussion.
What I would like to know is if any Minor owners on here, in France or elsewhere, have used E85 fuel in their Minors?
If so, what changes have you made to the fuel system? What, if any, problems have you had?

Cheers N
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: E85 fuel

Post by Mick Lynch »

Don’t. A gallon of ethanol contains less energy than a gallon of petrol, resulting in lower fuel economy when operating your car.

I had a Dodge Grand Caravan that was ‘E85 flex fuel’ compliant and ran it on E85 once. The power dropped off and it felt like I had my foot flat down all the time just to keep up. I checked the handbook and it said tests show I may need an extra third of fuel per journey

Check the internet for E85 vs regular

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e8 ... -test.html
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

Here’s a better explanation

Why does pure gas give me better mileage?
Pure gas gives better mileage than E10, and much better than E85, simply because gasoline has higher free energy than ethanol. The free energy of gasoline is 34.2 MJ per liter. The free energy of ethanol is 24.0 MJ per liter. That means E10 (10% ethanol) has a free energy of 33.2 MJ per liter, and E85 (85% ethanol) has a free energy of 25.6 MJ per liter. As a result, your mileage is reduced by 3% with E10 over pure gas, and 25% with E85 over pure gas, all else being equal. Mileage will be reduced even more if your engine doesn't run as well on E10, which is often the case with older vehicles.

From site https://www.pure-gas.org/about

Pure gas = unadulterated petrol
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

the other thing is air fuel ratio ethanol needs a much richer mixture than petrol.
fuel stoich.JPG
fuel stoich.JPG (20.97 KiB) Viewed 627 times
If you re-jet it you will get some of the power back but you will be using a lot more fuel too.