Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Quantumrush
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Fuel injection kits?

Post by Quantumrush »

Hi,
I had an idea thrown at me about upgrading to fuel injection to get better performance.

I do like the idea but I'm torn between wether I do it or not...

The cars going to be used as a daily for college and going to see friends so would it be worth it? Because I'm not going to go on any long road trips in it yet.

Can I have some feedback about it and some ideas for what kits to look into if I do decide to change to an injection system.

Quantum :)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Fuel injection kits?

Post by philthehill »

In my workshop is a BMW 16 valve head and associated fuel injection set up destined for my son in law who is located in Queensland Australia.
This kit is going to be fitted to a 'A' Series engine which is going to be installed in a modified Mini.
Fitting the BMW 8 valve head and BMW 16 valve head both with fuel injection is a well trodden path.
Unless you are going to do a full power conversion I would suggest that fitting a fuel injection system is money not well spent.
Even with my 1380cc full race motor I could not warrant the expense of fitting a fuel injection system and instead fitted two 45DCOE 13 Weber carbs.
Therefore I would suggest that you stick with a normal SU carb and if you want to improve the performance fit a 1 1/2" HS4 SU carb.
Though to get the best performance you do need to carry out other modifications like changing the head and manifolds. The trouble is where do you stop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxEJTTehYg

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Though to get the best performance you do need to carry out other modifications like changing the head and manifolds. The trouble is where do you stop.
I agree with Phil, I experienced this 'addiction' to changing things with Abby, my 1275 two door, now sold.
I still modify mildly but only enough to make them mechanically a little more safe / reliable (my opinion only, others find completely standard cars more than adequate) in modern traffic conditions.
However, this is limited to mainly 'out of sight' changes these days but even now I find myself telling myself to 'stop' on occasions.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Quantumrush
Minor Friendly

Post by Quantumrush »

philthehill wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:05 am In my workshop is a BMW 16 valve head and associated fuel injection set up destined for my son in law who is located in Queensland Australia.
This kit is going to be fitted to a 'A' Series engine which is going to be installed in a modified Mini.
Fitting the BMW 8 valve head and BMW 16 valve head both with fuel injection is a well trodden path.
Unless you are going to do a full power conversion I would suggest that fitting a fuel injection system is money not well spent.
Even with my 1380cc full race motor I could not warrant the expense of fitting a fuel injection system and instead fitted two 45DCOE 13 Weber carbs.
Therefore I would suggest that you stick with a normal SU carb and if you want to improve the performance fit a 1 1/2" HS4 SU carb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxEJTTehYg
I've already got a hs4 installed onto my 1098 .
And it runs quite nicely but I feel an injection system will be better as it reduces fuel consumption and emissions.

And its adaptive unlike a carb... Which means I'll get the best power out of my engine.

I'm still really torn between it because the systems are expensive and complex but it's worth it afterwards, but I really like having a carb too.

I'm trying to get as much power as I can out if the engine without having it pocketed or with performance parts as the last engine that was in it had that done to it but was a nightmare constantly creating more problems So I'm trying to avoid anything that big.
Quantum :)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You could always adapt a late classic John Cooper Mini fuel injection kit to suit the 1098cc Minor.
You would have to get the mapping re-written for it to work well.
Though if you want to avoid nightmares of expense and complexity I would advise that you stick with your 1 1/2" HS4.
If your last engine was a nightmare I would suggest that it was not done right or did not have the right combination of parts.

liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

If you're not even planning covering significant miles, I think you'll find it will be a big headache and expense for very little gain, in terms of either performance or economy. SUs are known for offering great economy (better than most other carbs) and a well set-up Minor should easily return 40 mpg on a run of any length.

You haven't said what system you are thinking of - MPi, SPi etc. This would make a difference. I would be surprised if you saw any performance benefit with a single-point system, for example.

I remember there was an article in Practical Classics a few years ago about converting an A40 Farina to fuel injection - as the engine is the same as in a Minor, it's relevant :-). Here is a link to a previous discussion on it on this forum:

viewtopic.php?t=18366
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

The problem with the minor is that with siamesed ports you are not going to get the full benefit of fuel injection, (ie an even mixture across all cylinders), if you fit an 8 port head then it would be worth while, if you want to do it so you can run a catalyst then perhaps fit the mini single point system but I doubt this will give anymore power than a HS4, If you want power and control I would have thought one of the sidedraft manifolds with a DCOE weber lookalike throttle body would be the easiest way to go, but all in you are unlikely to get much change out of a couple of grand in parts, that's a lot of fuel to save!

We have fitted a mappable ignition system (megajolt) to ours, that certainly seems to help with smoothness (particularly noticable at idle) and starting.