Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Pancake filter conversion

Post by jagnut66 »

Regarding E10 I've heard it also eats paper filter elements and I have seen it eat into bare aluminum.
If this is true the there is no point in worrying further, as we might as well all give up and go home.........
I've renewed the fuel line rubber sections and replaced the lines themselves with Cunifer ones. I've also replaced all the carb components that may be vulnerable.
If we keep worrying about every rumour we hear we'll never stop chasing our tails......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Though, as an afterthought, that doesn't bode well for the Alloy heads on Jaguar XK engines, found in their cars from the 50's throught to the late 80's................. :o
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
MCYorks
Minor Fan

Post by MCYorks »

jagnut66 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:25 am
Regarding E10 I've heard it also eats paper filter elements and I have seen it eat into bare aluminum.
If this is true the there is no point in worrying further, as we might as well all give up and go home.........
I've renewed the fuel line rubber sections and replaced the lines themselves with Cunifer ones. I've also replaced all the carb components that may be vulnerable.
If we keep worrying about every rumour we hear we'll never stop chasing our tails......
Best wishes,
Mike.
I'd have to agree Mike. There are so many rumours and scare stories, it's surprising anyone dares to fill up their tank :roll:

The Ford Model T could run on ethanol, while some vehicles in Brazil have run on blends up to E100 since the 1970's. All apparently without any major problems, and they all had carburettors :wink:

I've had enough fuel system problems over the years. So parts failed even before there was any ethanol in petrol. They just got repaired or replaced as and when required.
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

Ethanol doesn't affect aluminium but the water it absorbs if poorly stored can, virtually all modern cars use paper elements and the manufacturers won't be tooling up for special materials to make a few minor filters so I guess some old stock ones could be an issue but buy a new one and you will be fine.

The only things the trusted sources seem to consistently say are it attacks rubber and solder and don't store it for a long time.
Philip b
Minor Friendly

Post by Philip b »

you could make up a catch can...you could use anything really
Philip b
Minor Friendly

Post by Philip b »

Venting to air isn't ideal, because you can get oil mist and unburnt fuel fumes exiting the engine into the atmosphere. When these make their way into the passenger compartment it's not pleasant :wink: Plus, you can get dust and dirt entering the engine, which won't do it any favours...

hose blows doesn't suck. so dirt can't get into engine