Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Website down earlier...

Post by Chief »

So.... why was the whole website (not just the forums) down with security vulnerability messages earlier this morning? It was almost like the certificate hadn't been renewed or something :o

Both Firefox and Chrome said the site was now dangerous, open to privacy issues etc.

So, just curious, I mean I'm used to the forums being down on occasions, but the whole lot down with security warnings is a new one on me.
:)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Website down earlier...

Post by geoberni »

Hosting company had let the security certificate expire.
Since the 'web' increased security against hacking a couple of years back, the majority of sites, and it's essential for any site that takes details such as Login passwords, have been 'https' hosted, instead of the standard 'http'. These sites are required to have electronic security certificates which require regular renewal.

It's not that unusual for this to be forgotten by smaller hosting providers and the site suddenly becomes unavailable, because browsers like Bing, Edge, Firefox et al refuse to connect to them.
I've had it happen a couple of times in the past week where I've got the 'certificate out of date' message from a perfectly respectable website. It's usually resolved in a few hours.
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

True, though considering even the free providers of https certificates have auto-renewal so it renews instantly, you'd think these kind of things wouldn't happen anymore, :)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

For information, the certificate had indeed expired. The certificate was "installed" by the Club's IT provider, a company called Corolus, based in Derby. When Mike chased them about the expired certificate, they responded that their supplier had not delivered the certificate until late last night. I merely report the facts.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

simmitc wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:30 pm I merely report the facts.

Just to say, I wasn't getting at either your or Mike about the issue. :)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Thanks for saying that, we hadn't taken it as a dig at us. I was just practiciing transparency and letting people know what happened so that they can draw their own conclusions :wink:
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I remember many years ago that Microsoft forgot to renew one of its web domain registrations. Fortunately someone spotted what had happened, bought it and then sold it back to a very relieved Microsoft without trying to make a profit.