Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
callevaerudite
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Lucas Parking Light

Post by callevaerudite »

Hi All,
Hope this is the right place to put it this post!
I've just bought a parking light for my Moggy, as I like purchasing accessories that would have been used when the car was made!
I was just wondering how someone would have connected it to work? Presumably by a socket of some sort?
Cheers :D
IMG_20211030_114411_266.jpg
IMG_20211030_114411_266.jpg (4.67 MiB) Viewed 1343 times
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Re: Lucas Parking Light

Post by Sleeper »

I've fitted a 12v lighter socket , and changed the bulb to LED.
plight.JPG
plight.JPG (139.81 KiB) Viewed 1327 times

John ;-)
Attachments
plight.JPG
plight.JPG (139.81 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Last edited by Sleeper on Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Hi
You're right, often a dedicated plug/socket arrangement. The most common being a pair of sockets, of the type seen on Landrover dash boards for many years.
Like this example:
parking light.jpg
parking light.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Landy Dash.jpg
Landy Dash.jpg (501.53 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Your one looks to have been fitted with the sort of connector usually used on Sound equipment, found on the back of a typical stereo system or even the TV, known as an RCA Phono connector.

The RCA Connector dates from the 1930s, so a perfectly legitimate connector to have been used, they just weren't usually used as a power connector, they were intended for audio signals. But the low amperage of a parking light would be perfectly within their capacity.

If I were you, I'd look around the house on typical equipment like TV, Sound System, Satellite box or similar, and with it switched off, just confirm that the connector fits. It certainly looks the right proportions.

Then find an electronics store to get one.
A few years ago, I'd have said your local Maplin, but they closed all their stores and went on-line only.
Online, you'll probably find yourself buying a pack of 4 or so.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361409121204
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

There's currently 3 Socket/Plug combinations on sale on ebay NOS.

Search for "classic car auxiliary 2 pin plug socket"

Socket and Plug.jpg
Socket and Plug.jpg (210.78 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Quite handy to make an immobiliser too - wire it into the ignition circuit and take the plug with you when you get out.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Monty-4 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:26 pm Quite handy to make an immobiliser too - wire it into the ignition circuit and take the plug with you when you get out.
Bit easy to over come though, if spotted. Back in the 70s I knew a guy whose car had a removable immobiliser plug along the lines you describe, but it was made using a pair of aircraft type connectors with not just the ignition going through it. Any attempt to ham-fistedly short it out would blow the cars fuses... :wink:
Car was a Triumph Dolomite if I recall correctly, so a bit more wiring to play with than the typical Moggie.
Avionics_Connector_Plug_16798-900x600.jpg
Avionics_Connector_Plug_16798-900x600.jpg (106.68 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Regarding the parking light, option 'B' is to wire it into a modern charger plug:
DSCF3996(1).JPG
DSCF3996(1).JPG (571.4 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Mine came off an old mobile phone charger (phone long since replaced).
I like Sleeper's use of an LED in it, that will make it really visable.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Grumpy21
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Grumpy21 »

I remember having to use one of these back in the late 60’s on the street where we lived. There were very few street lights and I think the rule was you had to use it if you were more than 25 yards from a street light. Dad had to jump start his car quite often in the winter!
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Not only is it really visible, but only takes milliamps from the battery overnight..

P.S. Someone asked about the LED ,so have posted a photo.
bulb.JPG
bulb.JPG (250.34 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
John ;-)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Grumpy21 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:57 am I remember having to use one of these back in the late 60’s on the street where we lived. There were very few street lights and I think the rule was you had to use it if you were more than 25 yards from a street light. Dad had to jump start his car quite often in the winter!
I'm not sure if you have that right about distance from a street light, but it's possible. As far as I can make out, in the 60s and 70s on-street parking and the applicability of lights was covered by some Road Rransport Lighting Regulations made in the 1950s and they are not available online.

However there are still today quite a few commonly broken rules about on-street parking.
Taking the relevant extract from The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, s24...
4.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (5) and (9), no person shall–

(a)use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle which is in motion–

(i)between sunset and sunrise, or

(ii)in seriously reduced visibility between sunrise and sunset; or

(b)allow to remain at rest, or cause or permit to be allowed to remain at rest, on a road any vehicle between sunset and sunrise

unless every front position lamp, rear position lamp, rear registration plate lamp, side marker lamp and end-outline marker lamp with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted is kept lit and unobscured.
The exclusions detailed in paras (5) and (9) then included clauses which amount to not having to use lights if it's a 30mph limit or less, in a Lay-by and importantly, more than 10 mtrs from any junction.
10mtrs.JPG
10mtrs.JPG (44.79 KiB) Viewed 1202 times
You're also supposed to park on the correct side of the road so that your red reflectors face oncoming traffic, how often do you see that rule broken.... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Just to add to this topic, I recently managed to get a SEDAN brand Parking Lamp for the princely sum of 99p plus £3.20 shipping because it was an auction and not a Buy It Now seller.
The SEDAN brand is I think unique as it swivels on the bracket for left or right handed use, but that also means you can twist it half way and clip it to the 1/4 light instead if you wish.
It came with a broken 2 pin plug on it, a pin was missing, which I'd seen on the photos, so I swapped it for a Lighter Plug.
20211106_154837.jpg
20211106_154837.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 1121 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

The Lucas parking light is a nice little accessory, although the mounting clamp and loose wire look bad unless you fit it in a permanent position.
I fitted one to Willum's sun visor (on the European side) and wired it into the extra accessories fuse block along with the electric aerial with a couple of toggle switches next to the radio. 😁

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I have a parking light on mine too, which is not wired. Seen in the photo below above the semaphore. Following this thread with interest - would like to get it working again in the future.
Attachments
256450C4-69EB-4A6D-9A80-6162EF0C86B9.jpeg
256450C4-69EB-4A6D-9A80-6162EF0C86B9.jpeg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 1007 times
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

MorrisJohn wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:02 pm I have a parking light on mine too, which is not wired. Seen in the photo below above the semaphore. Following this thread with interest - would like to get it working again in the future.
An interesting feature some PO has added.
Certainly neat, a bit low profile to show up behind the car much that close to the body, but it probably served a purpose of complying with the 'letter of the law', if not the intent of making the obstruction in the road more visible to approaching traffic... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I have a parking light on mine too, which is not wired. Seen in the photo below above the semaphore. Following this thread with interest - would like to get it working again in the future.
That looks a very neat set up.
But I thought you sold your Minor................
Is this the replacement?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

jagnut66 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:07 pm That looks a very neat set up.
But I thought you sold your Minor................
Is this the replacement?
Best wishes,
Mike.
I did indeed sell my last Minor. I had another in mind but saw this one that a chap in the Scottish branch north east section was selling and had to have it. It’s not perfect by any means, but the underside and every panel are near mint. No rust - and it drives like a dream. Was restored six years ago and has been in regular use since.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I had another in mind but saw this one that a chap in the Scottish branch north east section was selling and had to have it.
Start a fresh post and post up some pictures then...... :D
It looks nice from the one photo so far......
Best wishes,
Mike.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Very nice. Must be a late 1950s Minor 1000. That should suit you much better than a Series11.
Good choice.