Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Fancy a 4 door project?

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I just spotted this for sale, it's in Nottinghamshire, looks to be in quite reasonable condition and isn't expensive:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1396982
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Re: Fancy a 4 door project?

Post by viewsonic1 »

Good honest advert. Not bigging it up in any way, just letting the pictures say it all.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Love the accuracy of the description......
.... but the car hasn't been taken onto the road. This is the popular 5-door version....
So where was it, it hasn't been on the road but somehow made it to the local cemetery... as to the number of doors... :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

as to the number of doors... :lol:
That gets on my wick too, whenever I see it. If you're going to count the boot lid as a door, you might as well include the bonnet and call it a 'six door' :D
Last edited by Owlsman on Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

as to the number of doors...
That get on my wick too, whenever I see it. If you're going to count the boot lid as a door, you might as well include the bonnet and call it a 'six door'
What if it had a sunroof? Or does that count as 'Emergency Exit (eject) Only' ? :lol:

Joking aside, I thought someone on here might like it as a project, probably wouldn't take much to bring it up to roadworthy / rolling restoration standard?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I think you're being optimistic Mike. The dealer selling it will already have worked out the approx cost of getting it roadworthy and realised that it'll cost more than the finished value :wink:
Getting the engine to run is usually relatively easy. Cars that have been off the road for years always need a lot of work which shouldn't be underestimated: All new tyres, all new brakes, cooling system, fuel system, charging system, loads of welding, stripping parts down and rebuilding. Many parts are inexpensive it is true but the costs all add up and everything will have suffered in storage. And all that is just to get it driveable. It looks a very tatty thing with very rusty and bent panels. It can all be dome of course but I honestly don't think that is a cheap car even if you could do all the work yourself.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The dealer selling it will already have worked out the approx cost of getting it roadworthy and realised that it'll cost more than the finished value :wink:
Yes, however his / a traders view on any car is only to sell it on and make a profit.
Any restoration is (to a certain extent) a labour of love, with no hope of getting the money and time back that you put into getting it to a standard you are happy with.
So a cheap car to do, probably not.
A viable restoration to a home restorer looking for a Morris Minor project for not a lot of money, definitely.
The 'finished value' is only important if that is all a person is interested in.
Best wishes,
Mike.