club subscription renewal due, do I or don't I?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

club subscription renewal due, do I or don't I?

Post by Budgie »

So its that time of year again whereby my club renewal has landed on the doormat and the same old question runs through my mind i.e. do I renew or don't I? With the cost at £32 what exactly do I get as opposed to being a non member taking into consideration the times when the site is down and I know that non members can gain access to it although not to the members section which I cant seem to be able to log into anyhow [ and the site was down again today when I logged in at around 17.00 ish]. I appreciate that clubs need membership subscription in order to thrive but there has to be something in it for the members at the end of the day, I need convincing.
les
Minor Maniac

Re: club subscription renewal due, do I or don't I?

Post by les »

I’ve just renewed but had the same dilemma, some people just like to belong but regarding advantages, as I see it, you get a magazine, fair enough, apparently cheaper insurance, although I doubt if this ‘discount’ would disappear if you were not a member, especially if the company thought they might loose your custom. As you say the forum is available to all, as for club spares, although I understand it has been said only for members, that appears to not be the case, they won’t refuse anyones money! Rallies are open to all. So it just depends how you feel about these things.

Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Hi Les and thanks for your input. Like you said about the insurance side I found a cheaper company than the one recommended by the club although I was with them when I first joined many years ago but within a couple of years of me being insured by them the price shot up so I looked elsewhere and got a far cheaper deal like for like and without offering up my club membership number . As for the bimonthly magazine as I remember the late Roybmcosse saying , it comes through the door I spend 20 minutes looking through it and then it gets filed away .
Also does the "members site " still exist as I don't seem to see the "password" for access printed in the club magazine any more or am I missing it somewhere amongst the pages?
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

I think you'll find the log-in system has changed.
Go to :https://www.mmoc.org.uk/MyAccount/Login
On RH side see
Current and Previous Members

If you are a current or a previous member you will need to reset your password using the forgotten password link the first time you access the site. If you are having issues logging in DO NOT CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT, please contact the office who will be able to help you 01332 291675.are a current or a previous member you will need to reset your password using the forgotten password link the first time you access the site. If you are having issues logging in DO NOT CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT, please contact the office who will be able to help you 01332 291675
Mind you, there's not much there, e.g. the events diary is not up to date as far as I can see
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Ah right thanks for that woodiesenfrance and seeing as I'm probably not missing much then I might as well give it a miss as I hate faffing around for the such like . I like the simpler things in life and if it becomes a chore just to access various parts of this site then I haemorrhage interest.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

But you can renew your subscription online there which would save you a postage stamp!
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

Does member ship not get you any other discounts at suppliers, e.g. ESM?

Becomes self-serving, then.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

There's a whole book of tangible benefits and offers. That booklet is sent to you every time you renew your membership, and there are often details in the magazine (see page 54 of Nov/Dec 2021). Quite a few traders offer discounts for MMOC members buying parts. On top of that there are the intangible benefits such as lobbying, advice, DVLA liaison, representation on working groups, social activities, friendship etc. The subscription funds internet related things. It would be very selfish to want the benefits but expect others to fund them. Overall, the subscription is very good value and well worth continuing. Of course, with any club, to a certain extent, one gets out what one is prepared to put in.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Simmitic, may I be so cheeky as to add a caveat to your post relating to the fact that overseas members cannot benefit from the majority of the members Benefits you mention?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Of course you can, Mary; but then overseas members get that added benefit of maintaining contact with good old Blighty :wink:
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Ouch, you get out of a club what you put in, kinda was expecting that avenue to be thrown into the bowl. I read the list of "benefits " to club member's and that's why I'm considering renewal every year. Its usually 10% off items if your a club member so that's not much of an incentive and I personally wouldn't say that £32 is good value unless of course your salary or pension is a good un. As for me all I get is a bimonthly magazine but hey ho perhaps others are getting far more benefits out of the club than me ......... I'm obviously missing something so still not convinced.
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Our decision time on MMOC membership falls in January.
This time we get to choose between £40 pa which includes a printed & posted Minor Matters, or a reduced rate of £35 if we opt for an on-line version only. (Plus £2.50 per family member as in the UK)
Hmmmmmm......
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

I’m starting to feel guilty !!
I am a forum member ( not a paid up club member ) and enjoy the site and the technical knowledge and advice that is ‘ freely ‘ available to me. I reckon I should pay towards the administration etc that is needed to give me what is currently a freebie while reaping the extra benefits .
So—- I for one will be joining as a paid up member !!!!!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Good for you and welcome (in advance) to the club.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Shropshiremoggie wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:36 pm.
Welcome aboard!
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

But Shropshiremoggie you'll be getting very little more for the princely sum of £32 pound but I suppose its your decision and money . If I decide to fo go my subs then ill be no better or worse off it seems.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

My decision is based on the overheads of running the club which ( I presume ) would not be viable without the subscriptions . If all existing members decided to stop their contributions then the club headquarters and staff would become defunct . You pays your money and takes your choice . I’ve enjoyed free access for a number of years so if I amortise it over the next few years subs I think it becomes quite cost effective .
Nothing is free , my previous free access is being subsidised by paying members . Time I contributed :D
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Yep. There is a lot of free stuff online whatever your interest, Minors or flower arranging or whatever, but not all of it is good value.
Joining a recognised club or group and contributing helps everybody.
The MMOC has given me a lot over the years, most of it good and I hope that the time I spent on the National Committee and setting up and running the first few week-long MOT (Minor Overseas Trips) has been of value to MMOC members.

Since 1996 I have had the pleasure of also running the admin for the French Minor Club, Amicale Morris Minor France, which also leads us to help owners of other British classics to source odd spares, such as a s/h back plate for a Frogeye from ESM.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

As mentioned in one of my previous replies I appreciate that subs are needed in order to run things but my angle is value for money and I also appreciate that my view on that will be very different from some / others. I just want to see a way of justifying the £32 annually dues for the last few years , surely I'm not the only one that thinks this way [according to the private messages I've had apparently not].
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Budgie wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:02 pm I just want to see a way of justifying the £32 annually dues for the last few years , surely I'm not the only one that thinks this way [according to the private messages I've had apparently not].
I agree with you, but were those who messaged you MMOC members and if so did they bother to attend the AGM on Zoom this year and express their views?
The choice is yours, and yours alone.