Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

locking a subject

Post by Budgie »

This is one of my biggest bug bares of this site and has definitely swayed my decision where as I was hovering. Some people should not be allowed power, deja vu Mike.
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: locking a subject

Post by Bowie69 »

- You question the worth of paying to belong
- You don't give reasons
- You almost try to persuade people not to pay to belong
- You don't engage with the admin when asked a direct question
- Then after a very balanced admin finally decides to act you post another subject criticising ​them
Last edited by Admin on Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed some well meaning but a little inflammatory phrasing
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Re, post from Bowie69 that's another reason why I'm not renewing .With arrogant rants like that to a member who doesn't realize that I also had a pm chat with an admin. I'm not on any social media sites / forums but I'm told they can be very personal like this site can be . This is what I was hoping wouldn't crop up but I do not want to belong to a club that allows unpleasant comments to be aired on an open forum. Btw I'm no friend of yours so please edit accordingly.

Regards.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well I was going to add to the other thread until noticing it was locked.(something that tends to irritate me) However to continue here, as I mentioned earlier I was wondering about membership but decided to continue despite thread locking and poor forum performance, because I suppose, I’ve been here for years. What’s 32 quid a year really, not much more than 50p a week. Yes things wrong and situations change, so I’ll never say never but I’m here for another year !
Oh dear, those sort of posts are likely to get this thread locked as well ! :D

Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

The trouble with subject locking is that the admin has the last word which can have an imbalance with what the op is trying to get across so the op looks bad as a result. Such a shame . I think my point has been missed completely from the original posting but hey ho I did try. :D
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Bowie69 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pm There's nothing 'power mad' about anything that has has gone on
The only power mad ones here are those with the 1275cc engines ! :lol:
les wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:02 pm Well I was going to add to the other thread until noticing it was locked.(something that tends to irritate me)
Have to admit I was going to as well, but I can understand why the other thread was locked - it could have gone on indefinitely round the proverbial mulberry bush, and at the end of the day it's all down to the individual whether they pay up or not.

In my own case I was going to point out that the club insurance discount really does make a huge difference as one year my insurance rates shot up and I was kindly told that there had been a mistake the previous year and I'd been charged 50% too little. A week later they rang to apologise because their new employee had left off the club discount, and it became £2 less than the year before - and it's kept going down since ! (except the insurance tax has kept going up :roll: ).
les wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:02 pm poor forum performance
Maybe the Admin isn't locking the threads, maybe it's just a forum bug :wink:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Admin and Mods can lock threads, but, despite what is being suggested, we do it very infrequently. I usually add a comment that I'm locking the thread and say that if anyone objects, then contact me - we can always unlock it if people feel that the subject will benefit from prolonging the discussion.

I'm really trying to understand your POV, but your last post on the other thread was:
My expectations were obviously way too high, I just thought that my membership was worth more but what's one less eh.
This seems to suggest that you had already made up your mind to leave, and therefore the subject had been exhausted, so the topic being locked was not a factor in your decision; so it seems a little unfair to subsequently raise it.

None of us want to see people leave, I believe that (nearly) everyone can make important contributions to the world of Minoring. I offered you a list of some of the benefits, and felt that you practically threw it back in my face with your "kinda expecting that avenue" comment. Mike did ask politely what you were expecting, but you declined to answer. How can we look at providing the benefits that you want if you can't list them yourself?

The Club is run by a Committee for the benefit of the Club Members. The Committee will always consider requests from Members, and will strive to provide what is wanted. Regretfully not everything can be achieved. Over the years, I have made suggestions, some of which have been taken forward, and others discounted. Everyone is entitled to make suggestions and requests; and I encourage people to do just that. The relevant contact details are readily available.

As has been mentioned before, it's individual choice as to whether to be a member or not, and I respect each individual decision. However, if you do decide to stay and you have constructive suggestions as to what you would like to see as benefits, then please make them known. If you do not say what you want, what would make you stay, then how can the Club respond?
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Budgie wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:58 pm Re, post from Bowie69 that's another reason why I'm not renewing .With arrogant rants like that to a member who doesn't realize that I also had a pm chat with an admin. I'm not on any social media sites / forums but I'm told they can be very personal like this site can be . This is what I was hoping wouldn't crop up but I do not want to belong to a club that allows unpleasant comments to be aired on an open forum. Btw I'm no friend of yours so please edit accordingly.

Regards.
I'm not a club member BTW.

:wink:
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

As has been previously suggested, it's very rare that threads get locked but yes, I did indeed lock that one. I couldn't really see the sense in continuing it, as there was clearly something that wasn't being done the way you thought it should, but we weren't getting anywhere in finding out what that was, and all we got was an "oh dear it looks like I'm leaving then". As I said there, we don't want to lose ANY member, but if your minds made up then your minds made up.

As you suggest, we did indeed have some PMs, in which I said I was sorry if an answer three years ago wasn't helpful. At that time you weren't happy that you couldn't work out how to add a picture to your signature, and I gave you a step by step to achieve it. When you still couldn't do it, I told you to email me the file and I'd add it to your signature myself for you, but you didn't want to do that. That's okay, I do realise that some people don't get on well with the convoluted process of doing that, in fact it's one of the reasons why as Simon says we're trying to move away from this particular tool, but I'm struggling to work out what better service I could have offered you than for me to do it for you. Nevertheless I still offered you an apology that you weren't happy and left it there.

I am, albeit reluctantly, going to remove some of one of the posts in this thread that you complain about though, because while I agree with pretty much everything he said, it is a little incendiary and therefore against the rules. My very sincere apologies to that poster, and thank you for the support!

Finally, I'm not thrilled about your own comment on 'power', which I find offensive. With massive help from Simon I look after this board for the benefit of the Minor community, both members and non-members, discharging a responsibility given me by the club committee who I have to answer to. If you think you can do a better job of it then please let me know and I'll give you a moderators role, although you'll need to be a club member and from what you've said, that horse has already run. Just for info, I also manage the club Facebook group, a community foster carer Facebook group, and my local area authority foster carer support team.

I'll endeavour to leave this thread open as I recognise Les's point about locking them, and I'll try hard not to be overly sensitive to criticism, but let's try to remain civil and not insult anyone.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Chief wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:12 pm
Bowie69 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:00 pm There's nothing 'power mad' about anything that has has gone on
The only power mad ones here are those with the 1275cc engines ! :lol:
Best comment of the thread :D
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As a Moderator elsewhere, I totally support Admin and simmitc.

They have a difficult role and to a certain extent it is made harder by the leeway they usually allow, because some people don't appreciate it and just push the boundaries of acceptable behaviour too far.
Then when something gets removed or locked there's bleating about it.

Support your Admin and Mods, because without them there is no Message Board!
Basil the 1955 series II

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

geoberni wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:49 am Support your Admin and Mods, because without them there is no Message Board!
Hear, hear!

Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

KeithL wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:06 am
geoberni wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:49 am Support your Admin and Mods, because without them there is no Message Board!
Hear, hear!
Absolutely.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Thank you. :oops: :oops:
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I would also like to thank many pm's that I have received , thanks very much for the support. Cant figure out what exactly I will lose out on as has been suggested .
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Will you still use the forum when you decline membership. Or is that part of your decision too ? As, of course, non members can still use it