jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

First Contact (with a Morris Minor)

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Going through an old photo album I found this:
First contact -- spotted at the Newbury Show, Berkshire, in 1986..JPG
First contact -- spotted at the Newbury Show, Berkshire, in 1986..JPG (503.3 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Spotted at the Newbury Show in Berkshire in 1986.
Sadly it has since been a victim of identity theft, which now sits on a black Porsche.
Which is a shame for another reason, as I would have loved to have known if the car still existed.
Silly question probably, after all this time, however does anyone remember the car and what became of it after it's identity was nicked?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: First Contact (with a Morris Minor)

Post by ManyMinors »

What makes you claim the its identity "was nicked"? Is it not more likely that the owner simply chose to sell the registration number to somebody in a stronger financial position than they were in at the time? It was a different market 35 years ago in in 1986 and many Minor owners found that they could sell the registration number for more than their cars were worth.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

If would be nice if the DVLA put a stop to transfers of registrations off of historic vehicles.

I wish you luck with your search for information.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

What makes you claim the its identity "was nicked"?
I was expressing my opinion, as I disagree with the transfer of registrations off historic vehicles. Historic registrations belong on the historic cars they started life on, with the exception of where a car has been written off and / or scrapped.
In which case they could be auctioned off by the DVLA with the proceeds going to charity, instead of just ceasing to exist, as they do at present.

If would be nice if the DVLA put a stop to transfers of registrations off of historic vehicles.
Agreed and thanks. Obviously too late now in many cases but it could be stopped.
The existing pool of surplus dateless numbers could remain in circulation until they dry up.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Being sold by the owner and "theft" aren't quite the same thing though are they, whatever your view. And 35 years ago an old Morris Minor was not considered by everybody to be a "Historic Car" of course. Think about it: The equivalent now would be a car of the late 1980s, like an old Metro, Micra or Fiesta or something considered an "old banger" by many. If you were hard up and somebody offered you several times the value of your late 1980s car just for the registration number - AND let you keep the car, I'm pretty sure that most owners wouldn't think twice about it would they? :wink: