Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

New guardian needs a hint -

Post by nutmegct »

Hi all. I've just become guardian of a 1957 Traveller. Pretty much original but for tires (and the sad removal of the Trafficators), and fully roadworthy.

Car was built and driven in New Zealand, before being transported to Ohio USA in 2017, then Maine where I found it.

I'm having some minor repairs done by a qualified mechanic (I hope ...).

What would be the first thing(s) you'd check when you first receive a Traveller?

Thank you! and good health to you all!
Tom M.
Connecticut USA
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New guardian needs a hint -

Post by simmitc »

Welcome, looks like a good find :D
The wood looks good in the photo, just check that there aren't any soft spots Other than that, it's pretty much like any other classic car: Full service, Oil change (engine, gearbox, axle), check all brakes and components, probably change fluid. Check hoses, drain and flush radiator and fill with new coolant (traditional Bluecol A/F not modern OAT versions), examine tyres. When all is good, drive and enjoy. :D :D
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Thank you, Simmitc! I've previously been guardian of a 1953 MGTD, and a 1959 TR3, so have a bit of experience. Never had a car with the amount of wood that the Traveller has. I'll do a Forum search on care of the frame.

I have several references already: a 1958 Driver's Handbook AKD 680D, the Haynes manual, a BL Morris workshop manual AKD 530, and a 1958 Autocar review of the Traveller. Are there other go-to references I should seek?

Tom M.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Pretty much original but for tires (and the sad removal of the Trafficators),
Hello, nice car you have there.
The trafficators would be fairly simple to reinstate if you so wished, as long as the last owner hasn't welded up the holes?
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Thanks Mike. I'm afraid the Trafficator holes are indeed welded shut. Maybe a New Zealand law against those back in the day?

I see you're "Jagnut". My first British car was a 1955 MkVII Saloon. Quite a car that was; powder blue, red interior, BW overdrive, and 8 mpg. My parents thought it was safer than most other cars; if I'd been hit by a train, the train would be wrecked, but the Jaguar would likely suffer only a scuffed fender.

Merry Christmas to you.
Tom M.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I see you're "Jagnut".
My first classic car was an old English white 1960 Mk 2 Jag (straight in at the deep end, eh! :wink: ), how I wish I'd never sold it.
Once I'd got past the inevitable 'niggles' she was a pleasure to own and drive, indeed she was my everyday car for three years.
Mind you this was back when petrol was allot cheaper in the UK and you could still pick a relatively good condition, roadworthy example for 5K.......
Ah, those were the days......
These days I can only dream of owning another, speculators and investors have pushed prices for examples of these into the stratosphere now.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)