By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster
MMOC Member: Yes

Follow up

Post by Admin »

For anyone following posts from yesterday and wondering what's going on :roll:

The post about a new rule for member behaviour is currently hidden - I have ample responses to ensure that committee can get a flavour of how members here feel when I give them the info and the draft rule. I think it'll be sufficient to persuade them to endorse the concept of some formal rule in place to help them deal with a difficult member in the future, and will prevent that person from claiming to be individually 'picked on' when sanctioned. It will, however, be for a different admin to deal with, as I've decided to step down as soon as the New Year is in.
The member who made the complaint about the whisky post has doubled down on their challenge, and written to the club secretary directly to further their view. In the desperation to claim a victory at any cost, they've even now suggested that advertising alcohol is legislated and the club could be in some form of trouble over permitting it to stay. It's disappointing that anyone, but especially someone who likes to laud themselves as a longstanding member, would stoop to such a level to get what they want, but there you go. I think they've confused 'advert' with 'recommendation', but what the hell - if someone is that malicious and vindictive then to be honest I feel more sorry for her than anything else!
I'm relaxed about standing down as board Admin - I have lots of roles in the club including devising the club website revamp, running the clubs new and hugely active Facebook group, being part of the busy management team for Minors On Tour, stuff to do with National Rally, and several more, so I'll have more time to devote to those roles and our pal can't claim victory yet :lol: . I don't know who the new Admin will be, but if you're interested in a thankless role where all you get is abuse (I know, I'm doing a good job of selling it lol) then please stand up now!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Follow up

Post by KeithL »

I'm not quite sure what to say. Obviously I'm disappointed that you have stepped down from the Admin role although I fully understand and support your decision. Considering all the grief you have had to put up with the Message Board this last year or so, only to be followed by this business with the 'Whisky post', I don't blame you in the slightest. I hope the member concerned is pleased with what they have managed to achieve. Perhaps they will step up and volunteer for the Admin role so they can see for themselves how demanding it is. Whoever takes the role on will have their work cut out until such time as a new, reliable, Message Board is in place.

Thank you for all that you have done over the years (how long has it been?) and good luck with your other projects.

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

So sorry to read this Mike , best wishes for however you continue to support the club and thanks for all you have done .
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Sorry to hear you've been made to feel this is the only rational choice.
Whether this gives you more time to devote to other club business and relieves pressure from you or not, you shouldn't have been pushed out by a self righteous bully.
Which, in plain English, is what this person is and I call them out as such.
They should be ashamed of themselves but I suspect they are so pumped up by their own importance (in their own mind anyway) that they consider they can do no wrong.
If they hold any club offices themselves they are not fit to.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Mike,

Sorry that you've been treated in this way and can understand your decision. Thanks for what you've done.

I don't suppose the aggrieved member feels like standing up and explaining their side of the story?

Mark
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

I am so sorry it has come to this, I too hope the person involved are truly satisfied with this outcome. Unfortunately in today's climate if one person feels aggrieved, the rest of the world has to bear the cost, the poor twisted dried up person.
I had better not comment further as I would probably not be as magnanimous as you.
Many thanks again for all your work.
Regards Win
South Yorkshire
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I don't suppose the aggrieved member feels like standing up and explaining their side of the story?
They won't have the courage to show their face.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Right guys I don't want this post taken down (either by me now or by another admin later), because I wanted to put out what's happened to yesterdays post and to explain what is going to happen now. But to do that we need to keep the thread within the rules of the board, so let's keep civil and courteous. I do not want to discourage people from making valid reports about posts (and as I previously explained this report was upheld) and they are also entitled to do so without revealing their identity.
Please make sure that any comments are reasonable
Cheers
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
RobElliott

Post by RobElliott »

We're moving a forum to Wix as part of a new company website. Very reliable and works well.

Rob
Strathpeffer
liammonty
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by liammonty »

I’m sorry to hear that you’re stepping down, Mike, but I suspect you’ll be a lot happier for it! It’s a shame that some seem determined to be unpleasant - it’s easy to do on the internet but unfortunately this sort of behaviour isn’t a new thing! I’m glad I have enough going on in my life to not feel the need to get angry about trivial things. Still, each to their own. As others have said, thanks for your efforts performing a thankless task with a useless platform, a small number of stroppy members, and on behalf of a club that has never really embraced younger members (which I once was!!) or newfangled stuff like the internet! Your support has been appreciated by most of us :)
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

At the risk of sounding repetitious, I can only but agree with the sentiments expressed by everyone else on this particular thread.

If it's any consolation, my son was a mod on a 'modern' car forum, which had a much younger age demographic than I suspect this one has and he too got flak from members who must have been desparate for something to moan about. He solved it by getting rid of his Toyota! :D

Thanks for all that you have done for the forum. I take it that your active participation on the Facetube MMOC site will continue. :)

By the way, you do realise that your decision to stand down, will give you one less excuse to write that book with Bruce, about the unbelievable adventures of your continental road-trip, that were telling me about at the NEC this year. :D :D :D You can thank me later when it becomes a best seller!!

Thanks again,
Alan
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I’m sorry to hear your decision Mike but understand it. Right now, you can be sure the person who felt the need to start this upset will be trying hard to convince themselves that they did the right thing, their complaint may have been upheld but the upset caused is wrong.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

He solved it by getting rid of his Toyota! :D
But life without your Morris Minor?? :o
Surely a bridge too far? 8)

Right now, you can be sure the person who felt the need to start this upset will be trying hard to convince themselves that they did the right thing,
If it was who I think it was they won't have given it a second thought because, in the world of their own mind, they are always right and justified in their thoughts and actions.......
C'est la vie......
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by Admin on Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed one sentence. I AM sorry Mike, trust me, but I'd rather just edit a bit now than someone come along later and remove the whole thread!
Bowie69
Minor Fan

Post by Bowie69 »

Im so confused why someone would be allowed to make life so difficult for someone else, without club management intervening and sorting it out to an acceptable manner -that may be not what happened, but perhaps some clarity needed?

Whole thing makes me very sad, good volunteers are very hard to come by, and even harder to keep hold of :(
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Someone with nothing better to do in their life than report a post. Pathetic.
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Sorry to see you leave a very thankless job
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

An open message to the MMOC Committee....

The Message Boards existing rules have allowed this unsatisfactory situation to develop.

[Redacted]

The Club Committee should be more supportive of those that actually contribute to the good name and furtherance of the club on this message board.

I have quite a bit of experience in Moderating Forums, none of the Admin role and would I consider taking over from Mike?

Not a Snowball's Chance in Hell, why should anyone wish to take over a poison challis if the Club Committee aren't going to support them?

The MMOC Committee should take a long hard look at themselves.

There are other forums for Minor owners and this incident could be very detrimental to the furtherance of the actual MMOC.

[Minor additional redaction by simmitc.]
Last edited by Admin on Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Thank you for the kind thoughts Berni, I'm sorry I had to edit the post a bit but as I said before we still have to stay within the rules even when we think the rules aren't right. Best wishes, Mike
Basil the 1955 series II

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Very nicely put.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I’d like to say that the person responsible for complaining isn’t a [removed] person who clearly has nothing better to do with their time…but I can’t.

I don’t blame you for standing down.

All the best for 2022.

P.S. the whisky recommendation was a good spot and welcome post in the run up to Christmas and New Year.
Last edited by Admin on Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to stay inside rules
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

:( what a totally unnecessary and unpleasant situation your original post has stirred up. I too liked your original post and thought it was a friendly and thoughtful post in this world of gloomy news.

I am sorry you feel the need to step down in such circumstances but fully understand your position, who volunteers just to suffer abuse. As others have said it rather smacks of bullying which sadly seems to permeate society these days - if you disagree you are in the wrong and will be vilified.

So take a breather Mike, thank you for all you have done (and will continue to do) for the Morris fans. Thankfully there are plenty of absolutely wonderful members on the forum :D