Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mikec4193
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Thinking about my future with my Morris Minor

Post by mikec4193 »

HI Fellow Morris Minor folks...

I got to chat with the former owner of my 1959 Morris Minor that I recently dragged from Columbus Ohio to Mechanicville NY (over 600 miles)...while we were chatting he said that his brother who also owned this car for numerous years was giving him grief about him selling it...

So it got me to thinking...I have no ties to this car at all...I have never even driven a Morris Minor before...

I am having fun welding up all the rusty parts on it...and I plan on getting it to run and drive (in the yard at least) but I was thinking of selling it back to him once I get it to run and move under its own power...

Am I crazy or what??

I don't expect any profit from the sale but he sounds like he and his brother are missing the old heap.

Any thoughts would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

MikeC
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: Thinking about my future with my Morris Minor

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi Mike,
I don't know how common they are in the US but over here there are still plenty to choose from, so if you have no attachment to it, other than the desire to be the one to get it solid / up and running again, then do that and sell it back to the family who are so fond of it.
Then go and find yourself another, which the current owners have no hang ups about selling.
Why?
Because you know that Minor ownership is an addiction and once bitten forever smitten! :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

It depends where you get your pleasure from. I have a friend who does cars up, drives them for a while and then sells them on to fund the next project. That's how we got our Morris Traveller. It's unlikely he even covers the cost of the parts let alone his labour, but he gets great pleasure from doing the work and seeing the end result, especially if the new owner appreciates that end result and will treat it accordingly. We have had our Traveller for 11 years now and keep in regular contact and I think he likes that fact that whilst we still drive it regularly it gets properly looked after and serviced. He always gives it a once over whenever he sees it.

However, for some people the 'doing up' is merely a means to an end i.e. being able to enjoy driving the car (or selling it on quickly and making a few bucks). In this case it sounds like the previous owners would enjoy having it back and you would get valuable experience with Morris Minors ready for your next one.... :D

cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

For myself having a Morris Minor gives me a lot of pleasure and at the same time you end up using the car as a hobby,tinkering and improving the car how you would like to.I know that I don't have the same connection to our reliable daily driver vauxhall Mokka as I do with the Moggie.
I guess it is whatever floats your boat....
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
mikec4193
Minor Friendly

Post by mikec4193 »

Thanks everyone

Over here Morris Minors...I have seen one out in Topeka Kansas...I met the owner on one of the Facebook groups and my son lives out there so when I was out there I got my first ride in a Morris Minor...it was a woody too...

This is my passion but I took a break from it years ago to rebuild old rusty automobiles...I think I might have to go back to it again once I get this Morris Minor sorted out...

This Morris reminds me of some of the older VW's I have had over the years...

I miss it a lot...

Thanks for all the insight...

MikeC
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Have your fun and move on to something else.A change is as good as a rest
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Mechaniicville, what a wonderful name for a place for an old car enthusiast to live!
mikec4193
Minor Friendly

Post by mikec4193 »

I talked to the former owner and he said he would love have it back but he says he is 73 years old and he has too many cars to restore now...so maybe I need to just get the old heap up and running and reliable and drive it out to him to see...or if I was smart I would put it on a trailer and bring out to him to see...maybe take him for a ride in it...

Like I said before I have never driven a Morris Minor before...

I am hoping they are similar to the old VW's I had back in the day...except maybe they have heat and I am hoping a little faster too...

You guys are awesome on here...thanks for all the help...

MikeC

from Mechanicville NY
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I am hoping they are similar to the old VW's I had back in the day...except maybe they have heat and I am hoping a little faster too...
Whilst contemporary with the earlier / original VW Beatles, IMO Morris Minors are far better than them.....
But then I might be biased :wink: ................
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I was surprised how good the early VW Beetles were when I eventually got to drive one and I have been driving Morris Minors most of my adult life.
The VW Beetle engine was smooth and the VW suspension very good.

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

mikec4193 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:14 pm
Like I said before I have never driven a Morris Minor before...

You guys are awesome on here...thanks for all the help...

MikeC

from Mechanicville NY
I asked a friend of mine, who has owned both, which is the better car.

He replied without hesitation that the Morris Minor is the better car. It drives better, handles better (especially in the wet), corners better and it’s easier to fix things in the engine bay if the need arises. Both are fun cars to drive.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com