Traveller 1954 towing Caravan

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tiago Couceiro
MMOC Member: No

Traveller 1954 towing Caravan

Post by Tiago Couceiro »

Hi, I have just purchased and restored a 1954 traveler and would like to purchase a small old caravan but would like to know what the maximum weight is suitable for towing. My Traveller is original, 803cc and I plan, if necessary, to adapt disc brakes to reinforce the caravan's trailer. what are your suggestions?
Thanks
Tiago
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Re: Traveller 1954 towing Caravan

Post by nutmegct »

Tiago - take a look at this discussion:

viewtopic.php?t=51712

Looks like 400kg might be a limit.

Tom M.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Admin »

sprite.jpg
sprite.jpg (146.22 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
Sprite Alpine - about 12cwt give or take?
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Tiago Couceiro

Post by Tiago Couceiro »

nutmegct wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:57 pm Tiago - take a look at this discussion:

viewtopic.php?t=51712

Looks like 400kg might be a limit.

Tom M.
Thanks Tom
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Tiago Couceiro wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:38 pm Hi, I have just purchased and restored a 1954 traveler and would like to purchase a small old caravan but would like to know what the maximum weight is suitable for towing. My Traveller is original, 803cc and I plan, if necessary, to adapt disc brakes to reinforce the caravan's trailer. what are your suggestions?
Thanks
Tiago
My advice would be: Forget it. Having owned a Series 11 (in perfectly good running condition) I found it barely coped with pulling ITSELF along. A caravan, regardless of weight, would be too much for the little car I'm afraid. Put a tent in the boot instead. A lightweight one. It might cope with that...... :wink:
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Well, never say never. Yes, any 'proper' mainstream vans are going to be a stretch, but there are a few 'micro' caravan styles around that are very lightweight, or do what I did and build your own on top of a Halfords trailer chassis (okay, I didn't personally build it, I gave the chassis and some sketches on a bit of paper to a bloke and said "Oi, build me that"). My little teardrop has a cooker, fridge, even a TV and DVD player, and is light enough for me to tow all round the mountains of northern Scotland and the Hebrides :D
mull1.jpg
mull1.jpg (497.2 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
mull2.jpg
mull2.jpg (418.71 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
mull3.jpg
mull3.jpg (318.92 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Love that 8)
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

Mike - those are *wonderful* photos!
Tom M.
Tiago Couceiro

Post by Tiago Couceiro »

Admin wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:59 pm Well, never say never. Yes, any 'proper' mainstream vans are going to be a stretch, but there are a few 'micro' caravan styles around that are very lightweight, or do what I did and build your own on top of a Halfords trailer chassis (okay, I didn't personally build it, I gave the chassis and some sketches on a bit of paper to a bloke and said "Oi, build me that"). My little teardrop has a cooker, fridge, even a TV and DVD player, and is light enough for me to tow all round the mountains of northern Scotland and the Hebrides :D
mull1.jpgmull2.jpgmull3.jpg
Amazing! what is the weight of your full teardrop? there are small caravans with a total weight of around 800 pounds. Maybe you teardrop have the same weight.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Well, never say never. Yes, any 'proper' mainstream vans are going to be a stretch, but there are a few 'micro' caravan styles around that are very lightweight, or do what I did and build your own on top of a Halfords trailer chassis (okay, I didn't personally build it, I gave the chassis and some sketches on a bit of paper to a bloke and said "Oi, build me that"). My little teardrop has a cooker, fridge, even a TV and DVD player, and is light enough for me to tow all round the mountains of northern Scotland and the Hebrides :D
To be fair Mike, you have a bigger engine than an 803 under the bonnet, don't you?
I agree that caravan towing is perfectly 'do-able' in your traveller, however you will need to replace the 803 engine (along with the gearbox and diff) with something bigger first.
A 1098 set up from any later Minor should do nicely and be not too hard to track down.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes. I was talking about towing with an 803cc Minor because that is what the OP has.
I agree that towing with a larger engined Minor is perfectly possible - although personally I would prefer to use a heavier car than a Minor to tow a caravan with regardless of how powerful the engine is.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Sorry guys, I didn't spot that we were talking about an 803. Yes, scratch my earlier comment, that's a lot harder proposition!
nutmegct wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:11 pm Mike - those are *wonderful* photos!
Tom M.
Cheers Tom! You've reminded me that I didn't put up the remainder of photos after our mag editor had chosen the ones he wanted for the magazine feature earlier this year. I've put them up now in case anyone is interested - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74403
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Maybe a Portafold/Ansfold if you're up to a folding caravan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyyBZGZiIYk
https://www.portafold.co.uk
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

With an 803cc engine under the bonnet I would forget about the caravan and pack a tent! :lol: