Rear pop out windows for a Morris Minor 2 door??

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mikec4193
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear pop out windows for a Morris Minor 2 door??

Post by mikec4193 »

Hi Morris Minor owners

So I am have been spending some quality time inside the William Leo Columbus Morris Minor...

It is very claustrophobic for sure...

In my previous life I had several vintage VW Beetles...they have a kit for pop out rear windows...

Does anybody on here ever put something like this on a Morris Minor??

I think it would help with getting the air flowing inside the cabin

thanks in advance

MikeC
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Rear pop out windows for a Morris Minor 2 door??

Post by myoldjalopy »

To my mind, the little quarterlights on the front door windows are ideal for air flow without making the interior draughty 8)
Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

I am advised anything is do able at a price.Ask a classic car restorer how much this would cost.I guess a small fortune.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

Morning all,

The side window recess isn't deep enough to mount the glass on the outside without it sticking out from the bodywork,
So the glass would have to be smaller and sit inside the spot welded flange (where the window rubber attaches) and this wouldn't look great,

Answer is to remove the spot welded flange and move it inwards to allow enough depth for the glass and a rubber seal, not hard to do just time consuming, it will also burn the paint around the aperture while welding so that would add to the cost,

We have a 2 door that is going to have flush fit side windows fitted in 2022 among lots of other mods so I have spent time looking at exactly this issue,

Hope that helps

Steve
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Mick Lynch »

Im thinking you are increasing the ventilation options because a black Minor in mid summer without AC will be a sweatbox!

Instead of the glass why not go for a full sunroof like these from sunroofsource.com
Attachments
C458A50C-E88E-4EFF-AC15-069FF119A6DE.jpeg
C458A50C-E88E-4EFF-AC15-069FF119A6DE.jpeg (164.86 KiB) Viewed 826 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Instead of the glass why not go for a full sunroof like these from sunroofsource.com
I agree, plus the small plastic (or glass) sunroofs, that seemed to first appear in the 80's, look so naff and out of place on a classic.
Hetty the Herald has a white Webasto, so much better for keeping cool in summer. :D
I have seen black Webasto's on Minors before and they look great.
So much better looking than pop outs too.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

In theory the 4-door rear frames should be a good fit in the hole, unlike Convertible frames (different profile to the curve). Might be possible to adapt.
Cardiff, UK
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

Possibly take a couple of vents from the rear parcel shelf to a low pressure area somewhere under the rear of the car, even possibly use a bilge fan to boost the flow.
mikec4193
Minor Friendly

Post by mikec4193 »

RobThomas wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:40 pm In theory the 4-door rear frames should be a good fit in the hole, unlike Convertible frames (different profile to the curve). Might be possible to adapt.
I was thinking that same thought...if I could source a couple of rear doors that might work for me...hmmm....

I can see me now...scratching my chin....pipe smoke rolling around the garage...deep in thought...

Thanks for the post...

MikeC
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

I have a spare rear door sitting in my garage in Huntingdon if it's of any use. :D
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.