Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
martin418
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

modern ish cars on e10 fuel

Post by martin418 »

hi all just mulling over a thought has any one had any running issues on modern ish cars supposed to be e10 compliant i have a 2005 ford fusion 1.6 and a 2007 fiesta st150 ford said fine the cars said no !! poor fusion would not go past 4000 rpm and was gutless from cold i tried 2 different makes but no chance so i stuck a tank of esso 99 supreme in and wow its unreal performance and good economy
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: modern ish cars on e10 fuel

Post by philthehill »

Happy New Year to one and all.

The the two things I have noticed since using E10 in my modern is that the fuel economy is down by about 7 mpg and the idle running rpm has dropped about 100rpm. Performance wise I have not noticed any difference.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Interesting topic, not something that affects us as both our modern cars are Diesel.
There's no word yet on increasing the 7% Bio mix in that. :roll:

Happy New Year everyone.
Basil the 1955 series II

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

No doubts on my wifes auto renault modus,used to return 31....32 mph (She keeps a strict record) Can't get it past 28 now .
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

kennatt wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:14 am No doubts on my wifes auto renault modus,used to return 31....32 mph (She keeps a strict record) Can't get it past 28 now .
My Whippets can run faster than that. :wink:
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Our modern , a 1997 Japanese spec mx5, doesen't even run properly on E5, it stumbles on tip in, on premium it runs perfectly and give a noticible improvement in fuel economy.

Not dared to try it on E10.

On the other hand my 86 V8 auto range rover seems to run fine on just about anything and consumes similar vast quantites of it all.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Perhaps E10 is a worldwide conspiracy to make people give up petrol cars and swap to electric.............
Then they will fit electric shock modules to all the steering wheels to make everyone swap to electric driverless cars, so they can then link in remote limiters to control where we go and who we see....... :wink: :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
horologiumwatches
Minor Fan

Post by horologiumwatches »

I’ve noticed our modern car a 2015 Skoda Octavia is noticeably down on economy and was almost overnight when starting on E10. Used to touch 55mpg on a run and now I can’t get above about 48 mpg. Surly the whole concept of the fuel can’t be eco if we all burn through more of it, or is watering it down and making it less combustible, causing us to use more a clever way of getting even more tax out of the fuel? :roll:
1951 Series MM Lowlight
1954 Series II Four Door De Lux 'The Bomb'
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

I noticed my 2008 Automatic Fusion started idling unevenly when the E10 fuel appeared and in really cold weather it struggles to maintain enough revs to reverse out of the driveway. Hitting the accelerator to stop it stalling of course sends the car backwards too quickly!
I mentioned this to the garage while having a new shock absorber fitted in case it was a sensor malfunction but no fault showed up.
I may try filling up with super grade which is still E5 and see if it helps.
I did read that the USA have been using E10 for decades without problems?
🤔🇺🇸

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

I’ve stuck with 97 RON E5 for my 2016 Volvo. Reading these comments I’m glad I did. I just hope it continues to be available in the long run.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Grabsplatter
Minor Friendly

Post by Grabsplatter »

My 1.0 three pot Ford Focus was doing 47.2 mpg on 98 octane.

On E10 it's doing 47.3mpg. All fuel has been bought from the same petrol station, so there's no difference in brand.

If anything, I'd have expected mpg to drop purely because it's now winter(ish), which means more running on the modern equivalent of 'choke' , but it's actually improved slightly. It'll be interesting to see what it does when the warmer weather comes.

Haven't noticed any difference in running.

Either E10 isn't actually that bad, or I've somehow got virtually the only car that runs well on it.
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

My Ford Fiesta (2015), Morris Minor (1961) & Land Rover 3.9 V8 (Carbs) all drive exactly the same as before. Seems very odd that these relatively modern vehicles should be coughing and spluttering.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

From our fleet of 7 cars (street ka, 2020 fiesta, 86 range rover v8 efi, TR7V8 on su's, 73 Lotus elan,97 JDM mx5 and the morris) only the mx5 seems affected (haven't tried it in the lotus though).
Grabsplatter
Minor Friendly

Post by Grabsplatter »

mobylette wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:35 pm My Ford Fiesta (2015), Morris Minor (1961) & Land Rover 3.9 V8 (Carbs) all drive exactly the same as before. Seems very odd that these relatively modern vehicles should be coughing and spluttering.
Mine is on a 17 plate. Runs absolutely fine as I said above.

When I see these horror stories, I do tend to remember how the introduction of unleaded was going to destroy engines, finish the old car scene and murder us in our beds. Yet here we all are, still running our old cars...