Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Alex Macmillan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Advice Required

Post by Alex Macmillan »

At the risk of offending the purists, I would like to change the OEM steering wheel on a 1971 Minor for a retro Banjo type. Is this a possibility, considering the Horn Push? Is it a case of just removing the original push to get at the Wheel nut, Wheel off, Banjo on, tighten, and replace the Horn Push? Or is it more complicated? Any advice gratefully received.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Advice Required

Post by pgp001 »

I changed mine and it was pretty straight forward as you describe.
I dont think the later horn push will fit the earlier banjo type wheel, you will need the correct one that goes with it.

Phil P
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

You do indeed require the correct hornpush to go with the banjo steering wheel. And the screw to attach it of course. The correct hornpush is generally harder to find than the steering wheel itself. Other than that it is a simple straightforward direct replacement.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
This is the horn push you need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174615312238 ... SwZUJhyxyP
A good polish with Autosol will bring it up nicely if you want to spruce it up a bit, or you can fit it 'as is'.
There are several Banjo type Morris Minor steering wheels on eBay at the moment, prices range from £100 down to £59, so one to suit most skill sets, from those who want a good usable wheel from the off, down to a cheaper one with a few splits / cracks, which can be filled with resin and the whole thing rubbed down and resprayed.
Grab the horn push while you can though, they seem to be the things that are getting harder to find in any condition....
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Alex Macmillan
Minor Friendly

Post by Alex Macmillan »

Thanks to all for the helpful information.
Alex Macmillan
Minor Friendly

Post by Alex Macmillan »

Further to the comment "you will need the screw too", what screw and where does it go? I have a Banjo wheel but it doesn't appear to have a hole to accommodate a screw.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

If your steering wheel doesn't have the screw hole to secure the hornpush, you don't have the right steering wheel. Maybe you've purchased a steering wheel from the earlier model where the hornpush was on the indicator switch? You'll either have to get the correct wheel or no doubt it is possible to drill a hole in the boss? Either way, you'll need to secure the hornpush somehow and originally they were always held by a single screw.
The attached picture shows the hole - which is countersunk to suit the screw. Apologies for the poor picture quality.
Banjo screw hole.JPG
Banjo screw hole.JPG (207.71 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

This second picture shows the correct hornpush and screw.
Banjo hornpush screw.JPG
Banjo hornpush screw.JPG (238.75 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As I understand the chronology of the Steering Wheel Horn Push, it is something like...
Up to 1956, Horn in Centre of Wheel.
57 to 59, Horn on stalk.
59 - 71, Horn back in Centre of Wheel.

As the Latter 2 Spoke Wheel only arrived in 64, you'll see there is a 2-3 yr period where the Banjo Wheel did not have a Horn Button.

There was a guy posting recently on the Club facebook group about fitting a horn button to a non-horn banjo...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/morrism ... 3718060318
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As above, you may have acquired a Banjo wheel from the later period.
Remove your original wheel and check the splines on your Banjo fit the Minors steering column by doing a trial fit, it should slide in place reasonably easily, possibly with a little 'forceful wiggling' to get it on and then back off again but basically the splines should align.
Once you know you have a Minor Banjo (and not something else like an MG one), you can then drill and countersink a screw hole, as advised above.
Let us know how you get on.

As an aside, can someone confirm for the OP the size of screw required to secure the horn in place, as I didn't see one supplied with the horn push I found earlier.

Good luck and best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Alex Macmillan
Minor Friendly

Post by Alex Macmillan »

It looks like I've opened a small can of worms! Having looked at the article mentioned, it would appear that the modern horn push could be fitted into an earlier Banjo without going down the original old Banjo button route. But there again, I could be wrong.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Looks like the guy in the article has fitted a late horn push to a banjo wheel but it is non functional as his car has an indicator stalk horn button? :D

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Boomlander wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:24 pm Looks like the guy in the article has fitted a late horn push to a banjo wheel but it is non functional as his car has an indicator stalk horn button? :D
Quite. It isn't going to help the OP who just needs to purchase the correct parts :wink:
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

I've had a search on Ebay and also checked the main suppliers.
There are a few banjo wheels but only the later type horn pushes.
I was considering a banjo wheel for Willum but without the correct horn push I wouldn't be happy with it. I'll keep looking though!
Happy New Year Everyone! :)

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Richard at 'Minor Parts of Oxford' may be able to help, he was advertising the correct one for £60 recently.
Link below.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://minorpartsofoxford.co.uk/morris ... -hornpush/
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

As an aside, can someone confirm for the OP the size of screw required to secure the horn in place, as I didn't see one supplied with the horn push I found earlier.

Good luck and best wishes,
Mike.[/i][/b]
[/quote]
I think, from memory, that the screw is a 2BA 1/2" Raised Countersink. :D

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Duplicate post!........ Apologies.
Last edited by Boomlander on Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Hi All,
Just bought a banjo wheel on Ebay for £35 in great condition!
Also managed to steal a horn push assembly for £25!
Both are from a 1500 Wolseley but are identical to the Minor ones apart from the horn button which is of course a W.
A guy on Ebay has manufactured replacement buttons with the M logo so for another £20 it should complete the upgrade?... downgrade?..... Exchange! 😂
Last edited by Boomlander on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Someone's breaking a whole Wolseley 1500 on there too, shame really but as some parts, seats, rear axle, brakes, steering wheel and horn push (as mentioned by Boomlander), are used as Minor upgrades (no pun intended :wink: ). So here's the link:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174676391307 ... SwRY5fpGh9
I'll do a separate post for this, so everyone gets a chance to acquire bits.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Last edited by jagnut66 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As the seller is called "The Morris Minor Spares Shop" I'd guess that he's very aware of what items fit a Morris Minor and will have priced them accordingly (or more likely already sold them) :wink: .