Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Grabsplatter
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Chassis number

Post by Grabsplatter »

Does anyone know what should precede the body number on a 1958 2 door in cream?

I've looked at the information on the potteries mmoc, and although it does show that cream was a colour offered at the right time, it doesn't have a paint code for cream.
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Chassis number

Post by nutmegct »

Just to clarify, when you say "chassis number" or "body number", are you referring to the "car number" on the Morris identification plate?

The plate on mine is below.
fiftytwo altered.jpg
fiftytwo altered.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 699 times
Color codes for 1958 are on the linked charts (page 9).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SS6QyA ... sp=sharing

Thanks.
Tom M.
Last edited by nutmegct on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grabsplatter
Minor Friendly

Post by Grabsplatter »

As I understand it, the number on that plate is the number stamped onto the car body itself (body number?) preceded by numbers/letters that identify the body style, colour, etc. I've got the number that's stamped onto the actual body, and I'd like to know what the complete version on that plate should be.

The document you linked is the one I've looked at which doesn't have a paint code for cream. Does anyone know what letter represents cream?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It should be quoted on your documentation such as the V5C and more recent MOT test receipts. What's happened to the chassis number plate as that would obviously have it! By quoting the car number to the British Motor Museum at Gaydon, you could get a Heritage Certificate and that would provide the full chassis number as issued.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

It is not good to post your vehicle details in full on any web site - once the details are shown it is relatively easy to clone the vehicle.

Grabsplatter
Minor Friendly

Post by Grabsplatter »

simmitc wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:24 am It should be quoted on your documentation such as the V5C and more recent MOT test receipts. What's happened to the chassis number plate as that would obviously have it! By quoting the car number to the British Motor Museum at Gaydon, you could get a Heritage Certificate and that would provide the full chassis number as issued.

Unfortunately, many years ago, I removed it for reasons I cannot remember, and it hasn't been seen for a very long time - hence me wanting to find out what should be on it. As for the V5, that shows the chassis/body number as stamped onto the body itself, which is, I believe, only part of what should be on the chassis number plate.

I think I have everything except the identifier for the cream colour. Does anyone know what that would be? It isn't included in the, otherwise excellent, information from the potteries mmoc site.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The letter in the chassis number of those cars only gives the colour description. Not the colour name. So the description of a colour might be "Light Grey" but it won't tell you which of the several light greys was used any more than the logbook or V5 did or does.
I can't be 100% sure but I imagine that the colour "Cream" was described as "Ivory". That is its listing in the original BMC paint book. That would be a letter P on the chassis number I think.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Many Minors
You are correct in that the colour identification letter only gives a broad indicator of the colour not the specific colour.
Ivory is indeed indicated by the letter 'P'.
Details on how to interpret the 'Car Number Identification Code' were laid out in the early workshop manuals in the General Information section pages No: 11 & 12. issue 4. 37720 of the General Information section. Some general information pages are issue 1, 2, 3 & 4.
I retained these early general information pages as they do provide important information and which does not seem to be included in later editions of the workshop manuals - for example in Workshop Manual AKD530 14th edition.

Grabsplatter
Minor Friendly

Post by Grabsplatter »

Well, having double checked the V5, it does show a P, which apparently is Pale Ivory. If that is correct, something strange appears to have happened, as that colour wasn't available until a few months after mine found its first owner...

So, how did mine leave the factory painted a colour that wouldn't be available until months later?

I did notice that Cream was discontinued the same month that Pale Ivory became available. Were they different names for the same colour?

Curiouser and curiouser.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

If you send details of the car, vin,body,engine & wiper mtr date etc. will do a bit of digging.

Wrong colour range for year not unusual
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!