Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Minor_Inconvenience
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Help for a newbie

Post by Minor_Inconvenience »

Hello all,

I’m a recent new owner of a MM 1000 and have already had some great help on here with my ignition problem. This is such a helpful resource for someone like me. I ventured out last night and broke down and, whilst we’re thankfully back home and safe, I now have so many questions I want to ask.

I wondered if anyone has any suggestions on a good place to start - somewhere I can learn the basics and really familiarise myself with the car, rather than just posting multiple questions as I think of them or trawling through the various posts that others have made. Ideally I’m looking for a course of some description that can help new owners with no prior experience. Not sure if such a thing exists, but figured someone here might know if it does. I’m based in Hampshire by the way.

Thanks in advance
David
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Help for a newbie

Post by philthehill »

I would suggest a start would be to join your local Morris Minor Club branch and buy a Morris Minor workshop manual.
Not sure what part of Hampshire you are in but the local MMOC branch (of which I am a member) meets at the Fox and Hounds, Fair Oak, Hampshire SO507GE on the third Tuesday of the month at around 19:00hrs.
Branch Secretary is Mike Hockey who can be contacted at mike_hockey@hotmail.co.uk

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The Club has produced a DVD on how to service and look after a Minor. That is available from the Club Shop. I believe that it might also be available via email. If you give the office a ring and quote your membership number then I'm sure that they will be able to sort something out for you. I have not viewed the DVD, but I'm sure that it's a good place for a beginner to start.

You are, of course, always welcome to ask as many questions as you like on here.

Are you familiar with basic principles of cars, or are you looking for something even more basic along the lines of suck, squeeze, bang, blow?
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I would also buy a Haynes Manual for the Morris Minor 1000. More than adequate for the basic stuff if you are not familiar with the car. Don't buy a brand new one as, based on experience, the print quality may not be great. Find an older one online, in an antique or book shop, or at a car show for about £5. I got two - one stays in the house for 'reading' and the other stays with the car for 'doing'. One is dirtier than the other. :)

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

simmitc wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:01 am Are you familiar with basic principles of cars, or are you looking for something even more basic along the lines of suck, squeeze, bang, blow?
'Suck, squeeze, bang, blow'? Are we still talking about cars here?? Sounds like that came from some other sort of manual! :wink:
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Would "induction, compression, firing/power, exhaust" be better for you? We won't venture off topic, but I wonder, rhetorically, how many other synonyms there might be?
Minor_Inconvenience
Minor Friendly

simmitc wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:01 am The Club has produced a DVD on how to service and look after a Minor. That is available from the Club Shop. I believe that it might also be available via email. If you give the office a ring and quote your membership number then I'm sure that they will be able to sort something out for you. I have not viewed the DVD, but I'm sure that it's a good place for a beginner to start.

You are, of course, always welcome to ask as many questions as you like on here.

Are you familiar with basic principles of cars, or are you looking for something even more basic along the lines of suck, squeeze, bang, blow?
Probably closer to the latter to be honest… In an ideal world I would love for someone with tons of knowledge to come and see me and my car, walk me through the basics and answer lots of dumb questions.
Minor_Inconvenience
Minor Friendly

KeithL wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:52 am I would also buy a Haynes Manual for the Morris Minor 1000. More than adequate for the basic stuff if you are not familiar with the car. Don't buy a brand new one as, based on experience, the print quality may not be great. Find an older one online, in an antique or book shop, or at a car show for about £5. I got two - one stays in the house for 'reading' and the other stays with the car for 'doing'. One is dirtier than the other. :)
The wife kindly got me one for Christmas - but despite her efforts, ended up with a new one. I can confirm that the print quality is far from great!

And to be honest, I’m more of a kinesthetic learner so would really benefit from having someone to help as I get stuck into it.

I may well look for an old copy though anyway, thanks.
Minor_Inconvenience
Minor Friendly

philthehill wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:56 am I would suggest a start would be to join your local Morris Minor Club branch and buy a Morris Minor workshop manual.
Not sure what part of Hampshire you are in but the local MMOC branch (of which I am a member) meets at the Fox and Hounds, Fair Oak, Hampshire SO507GE on the third Tuesday of the month at around 19:00hrs.
Branch Secretary is Mike Hockey who can be contacted at mike_hockey@hotmail.co.uk
Really helpful, thank you. This is about 20ish miles from me so 45mins (depending on the car I’m travelling in).
MCminor11
Minor Friendly

Post by MCminor11 »

Hi, I’ve got an old one, printed in 1987, if you want it. M
Minor_Inconvenience
Minor Friendly

MCminor11 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:37 am Hi, I’ve got an old one, printed in 1987, if you want it. M
That would be great, thank you.