Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mikec4193
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Interior opinions needed

Post by mikec4193 »

I keep hearing about how the interior smell is one of the most prominent memories when you climb aboard one of these cars... So I have a semi blank canvas on the old William Leo Columbus I am trying to save...

Mr. Leo put Subaru bucket seats and hand built door cards

This pic above is from the former owner

Door card as they are today...

I think the car originally had a red interior...so I am thinking about what direction I want to go with it...

Are the original seats give it that smell that everybody talks about??....also how comfy are the original seats?

I remember with my old VW's I have owned...you opened the door and man that vintage VW smell hit you as soon as you got inside.
Grabsplatter
Minor Friendly

Re: Interior opinions needed

Post by Grabsplatter »

I'd be surprised if my interior was the original, unless it was extremely well looked after, but boy, does it have 'that' smell!

As for the seats - my driver's seat is certainly not modern, but it's not what the good people at Morris fitted either. I was told it was from a Wolseley 1500, although it doesn't look like a Wolseley seat to me. I'm certainly in no rush to replace it with a Morris seat though. Those things really don't look comfy.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I think that the existing setup has been done very well and offers some useful features, but whether one likes it or not is a matter of personal taste. If it's the "old" aroma that you really want, then you need old leather with plenty of leather dressing applied. If you want a "new car" aroma, then vinyl is the way to go. "Comfy" is very subjective, some people prefer the original seats and others prefer newer ones. An original seat is, in my view, quite comfortable, but be aware that there is no upper back/neck support.
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by James k »

Chain smoke cigarettes in there for a few years then get in after leaving it the sun for a few hours so the vinyl is burning hot. :wink:

That's my memory of old BMC/Leyland cars when I was a child.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The 'old car aroma' that you speak of does indeed form over time from the original interiors, it's most prominent on warm days and brings back fond memories for many.
Replacement original style interiors will gain this smell over time, however I find modern cloth fabric interiors usually just end up smelling damp and / or unpleasant.
Personally I'd go with an original style red leather (or vinyl) interior, it will set the black exterior paintwork off really well, just as it did originally.
As to seats, I've had no complaints from passengers about the comfort of the original rear seats, however the later front seats supported by straps underneath can become less than supportive with time and wear.
I find the early Series 2 front seats which have metal bases and shaped foam much more comfortable and long lived, unfortunately you may have to hunt for them. The link attached below shows the type I mean.
I believe the Wolseley 1500 front seat are a not uncommon swap and very comfortable. Also they can be recovered (or recoloured) to match the rest of the interior, plus they would be more period than the modern seats you had in there.
Ultimately though, we can only offer opinions, based on our own preferences, it is up to individual owners what they fit.
Though I recommend that owners who 'modernise' their interiors should keep the original items stored away somewhere, as it is a good selling point for them (or family members who inherit the car) to be able offer prospective buyers the opportunity to restore the interior back to original.
Best wishes,
Mike.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74353
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kevin s »

The original smell is usually a mixture of the original vinyl, felts, carpets, rubber, foams /horehair and paint/adhesives, add in a few years of dampness and fuel / oil smells. Modern materials are unlikely to smell the same so your only real option if you want the original smell is good secondhand set of original trim.

Then you have to consider do you want the safety and comfort of a modern seat.

We went for street ka black heated leather seats on home made bases in ours which are fine but don't look great, If I were doing it now I would look at the off the shelf bases that allow you to fit Mini R50 Cooper pleated leather seats.