Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
unclealec
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Introduction - and a question

Post by unclealec »

Hi everyone
I would like to format my first post as a new member as an introduction. But first -
A Question.
I have a Peugeot Partner van; a hangover from a recently-sold business. It is a useful little thing as a daily runabout. But the LEZ charge is looming here in Manchester, so I thought " buy a Morris Minor van to replace it".
I'm glad that I was sitting down when I looked at the prices! Vans I see advertised at my upper limit (poor pensioner, cue violins) were by no means likely to be useable without plenty of work.
But then I was offered a Minor van body on a Traveller platform. Well affordable, up and running. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be viable if done diligently. The structural strength of the van body should be capable of providing the same structural stability as the Traveller woodwork should it not? It does appeal to the inner bodger in me. Has it been done regularly?
Please stop me from doing something silly if I am reading this wrong; like most motorists of my age, I have had several Minors in earlier years, using a 2-door saloon to make frequent visits to my mother in London, but I would still say that I have much to learn about them.

Now the intro.
I live with my present wife Barbara in north Manchester; after leaving school in Liskeard, Cornwall, I had spells in the constabulary, spent several years in womens' clothing, and have just sold a business repairing and selling spares for RM Series Riley cars which I owned for about 35 years. My boyish good looks and athletic frame belie my being a pensioner.
My other vehicles currently comprise some Rileys of course, plus a Jowett Javelin. I am journeyman-standard capable of spannering, sparking, painting. timberworking, welding, but excel in truth-embellishing.
Comments and opinions would be much appreciated.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Introduction - and a question

Post by les »

Welcome, I’m personally not a fan of those type of conversions but with your apparent ability and if you like the idea, it may well suit. Check it’s been done properly. Glad you are no longer in women’s clothing, easier to get the overalls on ! :D

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

As Vans are on a totally different chassis to a Traveller, would it not require individual vehicle certification, just like a Kit Car or other self build would? :-? :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Welcome to the forum.

To be blunt - I would not go down this route for two main reasons:-

1. The van has a chassis the traveller does not.

2. Additionally would it pass a MOT inspection? As it will have had a material change to the body I would suggest it would need one before going back on the road.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/ind ... e-approval

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... t-vehicles

You may also have difficulty in getting the vehicle insured if you have not jumped through all the hoops.

unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

All valid points.
I have seen many Traveller conversions, usually of a pick-up style body. Have these fallen foul of any registration problems do we know?
From my Traveller-owning days ( a decidely dodgy one timberwise) I am happy that the integrity of the platform if sound would be sufficiently rigid provided that the bracing provided by the van body was adequate.
I have no wish to lock horns with Swansea, especially at the moment while the personnel are either on strike or off with Covid, and as under the points system the body change would not disqualify the registration I would not see it my duty to report to them.
Are Minor vans registered as "2-axle rigid body"? As far as I could tell using the DVLA vehicle search facility they are, but there's nothing like asking the experts ( aka you lot).
My insurer is happy to insure it.

As previously stated, if I could afford a solid van I would buy one, but I can't. Would you say that I would need to spend at least £10k to buy a feasible straight-into-use van? If so, I am out of the market. That is waht they seem to be advertised for, even a scruffy-but-sound one. It is for use rather than cossetting, so fortunately the concours end of the market I can afford to ignore.
I was considering a Traveller, scruffy but useable, but as it needs to stand outside all its life with me, it would soon turn in to a retimbering exercise, hence my preference for a van.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hello and welcome,
Not knowing what your budget is but taking on board what I read as the ability to renovate something in reasonable condition, I have found these viable alternatives to the van bodied Traveller:
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265423179739 ... SwfophoMIz
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393858537541 ... Swf-Bh2stQ
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Thanks Mike.
I have considered both these. To be honest they would both be above my budget, though not by too much.
They are both more than double the price sought for the Travavan, which is roadworthy as it is.
I could indeed see both of the eBay vans through to roadworthiness, but any major expense like a full brake rebuild kit or new tyres all round would scupper the project.
But with hand on heart I do acknowledge that I would prefer a "real" van.
I can't sell my Riley, it is the tractor for my caravan.
I could I suppose sell the Javelin, but (to howls of derision seeing that I am addressing an audience of Morris Minor fans) I just can't bring myself to exchange a lovely Javelin plus a couple of thousand for a scruffy Minor van. And the likelihood of persuading the present Mrs. G to go on some RM Club jolly at a posh hotel in a scruffy Minor van doesn't bear thinking about. The Javelin only just scrapes in.
Plan C - take out a contract on Mrs. G. She's well insured. Are there any Minor vans that are good at cooking and ironing?
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The basic plan of using a Minor as every day transport is fine. Are Historic Vehicles to be exempt from the LEZ?

Van back on a Traveller? Anything is possible, but how well was it done? I recall someone asking about how to do it and attaching some photos that showed the type of mis-match that could occur, but I can't now find the post. Also when was the conversion done, and was it notified to the DVLA?

It could be a very nicely done conversion, but I would approach it carefully, and ask why it is "well affordable"?
leafie

Post by leafie »

It may help to speak to millennium minors in chorlton (South Manchester). Could also be worth you contacting the Manchester Branch as one of the committee live on the north side so may know the car. I'd offer to have a look at it with you but not sure when I'm next back in Manchester.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Cheers, leafie. I have made contact with the Manchester branch (Glenn Reid?).
They won't know this car - it's in Coatbridge!
Historic vehicles, and indeed all cars, are not included in the Greater Lanchester Clean Air Zone.
Yet.
I share the concerns raised so far. It gets even worse; I am not in a position to inspect. I am tied to the close environs of my house by reason of the present Mrs. G's failing eyesight.
I am relying on the asurances of the vendor up in Scotland. If it were a Riley connected event I would just ask a crony to go take a look, but I am entirely unknown in the world of Morris Minors, so will have to stand or fall by the results of my own decisions.
I just hope that he is as honest as I am when it comes to describing vehicle condition.

I might just contact those two eBay items to see what the bottom line is pricewise, though I dislike potential purchasers who think you should alter your price to fit in with their intended spend level.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
dp
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dp »

Here's something to try. Go on Car and classic and for each make put 'van' in as a keyword and see what comes up. While Minor vans are fashionable and so pricy, other classic vans may not be. Lt us all know if you find something.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Whilst appreciating your unfortunate predicament, you would be unwise to purchase any vehicle without seeing it. There are honest sellers out there but plenty of the other type. You should be the one to confirm the condition.
Any other way is a risk ! Do you feel lucky ?

unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Dilemma solved - bought an ex-PO Telephones (I think) van from a dealer close enough for me to visit.
Previously owned by a Brian Clarke from Luton? Is there any way of tracing him? There is an owners' club rosette in the windscreen, so I guess he is/was a member.
Had to pay more than the one up in Scotland, but much happier that it is a "real" van. Chassis looks sound, body not too bad, a bit ratrod here and there but certainly useable once i have gone through it and fixed the poor brakes and leaking water pump.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

That sounds a much more sensible solution :)
I know it is very difficult now to find a decent van at a sensible price.
Glad to hear you have found something.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If you write a letter top Brian and then send it to the office and ask them to post it on, you may be lucky. They cannot reveal his details to you, (GDPR) but will certainly try to help you. They may even have details of other previous keepers, and could follow the same process for you.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Thanks for the advice.
I will wait until I collect and have the docs; at my age I can't rely on remembering the name right.
I could do with contacting whoever it was that carried out the mods; the disc brakes need a refurb and if I know which ones, I can start boning up on what is likely to be involved.
I have loads of other questions; is there an ex-PO register, indeedis there a LCV register, any sub-forums, literature, everything that will plug me into the Morris Minor LCV scene.
Is this the place to ask? Point me in the right direction please.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Good decision, I think you will be happier with a ‘real’ van. The lcv register is dedicated to these vehicles but unfortunately the website has been neglected. This forum will hopefully be of help, and Chris (POMMreg) who posts here, is knowledgable on the documentation side of these vehicle, which could help you verify it’s origin.

unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Thanks les, very helpful.
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
unclealec
Minor Fan

Post by unclealec »

Update - apparently a Tom West did a lot of work to this van. Ring any bells?
Alec Gatherer
Manchester-by-the-Ditch.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

unclealec wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:41 pm Update - apparently a Tom West did a lot of work to this van. Ring any bells?
Doesn't he produce canned fish?

Would you please pm details of your xPO van, regn, body & engine numbers, plus date on wiper motor?

Thanks.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!