Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nutmegct
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

"De Luxe"?

Post by nutmegct »

Good morning all.

I've received the BMIHT certificate, and fortunately all the data match my Traveller. Numbers, exterior color, etc. Dispatched to Nuffield exports on 2 Nov 1957. As the car is documented to have been registered in New Zealand from 1957 to 2017, I assume Nuffield Exports sent it directly from UK to New Zealand for first sale.

On the certificate, I see "Specification: RHD, Export, De-Luxe."

What does De-Luxe mean?

Thanks.
Tom M.
Connecticut USA
jaekl
Minor Addict

Re: "De Luxe"?

Post by jaekl »

For 57 Deluxe means leather seats and two sun visors. Depending on market and model it will also include stainless window frames and bumper over riders. For 57 it might also include a chrome number plate lamp.
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

thanks jaekl. Looks like mine is a DeLuxe all right, including rear number plate chrome lights and chromed window "frames".
1.jpg
1.jpg (141.26 KiB) Viewed 980 times
Say, what source provides information like this? (changes and features year by year, etc.)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

My "deluxe" traveller never had chromed number plate light covers. I don't think they are anything to do with the deluxe specification but were certainly a popular accessory at the time.
The stainless steel window frames are also nothing to do with being a deluxe. In fact, I've never seen a Traveller without them regardless of whether standard or deluxe specification :wink:
As Jaekl says, in 1957, leather seat facings, overriders on the front bumper and twin sunvisors are certainly part of the "deluxe" spec. - along with some carpet on the sills and wheelarches and matting to the cargo floor. Very posh! On later cars, the letter "D" was stamped into the chassis plate to signify a "deluxe".
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by MorrisJohn »

nutmegct wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 pm Say, what source provides information like this? (changes and features year by year, etc.)
There are several books by Ray Newell on the MMOC online shop. Whilst I can’t claim to have read them I’m fairly certain he’ll have written a book covering all this…maybe someone else will be able to confirm?
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

The main attraction was a factory fitted heater.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

They had a very modest idea of luxury in those days :D

‘Original Morris Minor’ by Ray Newell gives plenty of detail on changes over the years.
nutmegct
Minor Fan

Post by nutmegct »

I remember our 1958 Rambler American had the "option" of an oil filter ($7.50), cigarette ashtray ($1.75) and sun visors ($2.50 each). American Motors Corporation was smart: they put the chrome grille for a radio speaker on the dashboard, whether you bought the optional radio ($17.50) or not. Fewer parts to sort, and that grille would remind you that you *could* have had a radio!

Times have sure changed.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

It gets messy due to different market specificationts. I can confirm USA models but Australian will be different. All USA models had heaters and over-ridders. I do believe all travelers had stainless window frames. The USA market Deluxe models of 2 door saloon and convertibles had stainless frames but not in other markets. The USA convertibles are the only ones to get stainless rear window frames. The leather seat faces may be the only constant. Miscellaneous carpets in travelers may be another. The chrome number plate lamp is too easy to change so not reliable.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes, I completely agree with you. I can only speak about home market (UK) cars. In the UK, all the 2door saloons and convertibles whether standard or deluxe had painted window frames but I have seen cars for the Australian market with stainless steel ones :-? I have also seen deluxe models with no heater fitted.