WANTED - FIAT 2.0L Oil Filter Adapter Block

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know

Moderator: Moderators

spike_esq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

WANTED - FIAT 2.0L Oil Filter Adapter Block

Postby spike_esq » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:37 pm

Greetings readers. My 1970 Pick Up is fitted with a FIAT 2.0L engine. What a task to place the oil filter. There's simply no clearance between the can bottom and the chassis tie plate. Ouch. What is required is an adapter block/ assembly (as I call it) to facilitate the rotation/ orientation of the oil filter from vertical downwards to either horizontal (engine front/ rear) or vertical upwards. Does anyone reading have or has any experience of such an adapter block. The fitting of the FIAT engine is quite a "common" modification and I am certain some members have had and resolved this issue previously. Please share your thoughts and experience here. Many thanks. Regards...spike

dp
Minor Addict

Re: WANTED - FIAT 2.0L Oil Filter Adapter Block

Postby dp » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:34 pm

From memory (of 20-odd years' ago) Ford pinto's used the same oil filter as the Fiat T/C so you could use a Ford remote filter setup. Well it's only the part that fits to the engine that's critical, Ie something like this:

https://www.burtonpower.com/takeoff-pla ... opo1d.html
(heck that's expensive!)

I ended up cutting the square spannering part off for clearance. Anyhow, if you check somewhere whether a Ford pinto takes the same oil filter as a T/C just to be sure, you're not spending out money to take a chance.

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Postby philthehill » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Here is the FRAM link for you to determine and compare:-

http://www.sogefifilterdivision.com/cat ... AM&lang=GB

RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Postby RobThomas » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:42 pm

I used a Relaint Robin filter, IIRC, since it wasn't very deep. There was an upside-down filter casting that I used on one of the Cars, possibly from a Lancia version.

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/reliant_volv ... oil_filter
Cardiff, UK

spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Postby spike_esq » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:20 am

Hi Rob and Phil, Thanks for the feedback on this matter. I need to further investigate all the information provided. I have been speaking to "Think Automotive" who provided me with photos of a Ford type FH5 proprietary adapter block (£100). However on inspection I do not think it will fit in the tight space available between engine and inner wheel arch. The brake servo is mounted down there too. Drat. The FH5 looks the part and I have asked for dimensions but nothing further yet. The gents at Think also advised they do produce a remote filter "kit" solution however once again information slow to come (cost £90). I will follow up on Monday. So for now I shall research the information you lads have provided. The search for a satisfactory solution continues. Regards...Harry.