If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know

Moderator: Moderators

LucyBuchanan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Films?

Postby LucyBuchanan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Films?

Which is a good company to get my Morris into Films please, any advice much appreciated, thank you.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: Films?

Postby RobThomas » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:29 pm

Look in Yellow pages.

Oh, don't give them any money. Any film company will pay YOU so no need to get any agency involved. Film companies will be local and won't want you to travel much. Not worth the agro for them.
Cardiff, UK

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Postby les » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:53 pm

I can’t recall what programme it was but I do remember the ‘celeb’ driving the Minor, I don’t think they knew how to use a clutch with the amount of gear crunching going on. If you must do it, be selective and find out what they want to do with your car. Remember it’s ‘show business’ your car is just a prop.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Postby irmscher » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:15 pm

I cant see the point for what these companies after they have taken there share want to pay!!

simmitc

Postby simmitc » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 am

In the past we have had companies wanting a Minor approach the MMOC PR officer who then contacts members with the right car in the correct area, so make sure that you drop a line to Tracey. In my experience film companies tend to ring up and expect you to drop everything and turn up on set the next day. They are also very bad at sticking to schedules, so if they tell you 08:00 - 14:00 for a shoot, expect to eb still there at 23:00. Most importantly, as mentioned above, do not pay anyone any money to register or promote your car, you should get paid. Also notify your insurer of the intended use.

LucyBuchanan
Minor Friendly

Postby LucyBuchanan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 am

Thank you for the responses, I am only interested as I need my Morris to pay her way.

I don't want the hassle of hiring her out for days etc. I shall be contacting Tracey, thanks for that.

Ps. I am a Member of MMOC, not sure why it says different on this post?

LucyBuchanan
Minor Friendly

Postby LucyBuchanan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:14 am

Answered my own question!
Updated my MMOC Membership Profile!

palacebear
Minor Legend

Postby palacebear » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:15 am

In 1990, I hired out my 1956 Austin Cambridge to a now-defunct vehicle/film hire company. The film is 'Under Suspicion' (1991), starring Liam Neeson and Kenneth Cranham, set in the winter of 1959/1960. As it was to be used only as a background vehicle, I stipulated that I would drive it. The scenes were filmed in Brighton at night over two nights, with hosepipes simulating rainfall. I had to wear a trilby hat and overcoat whilst driving!

I had my B&B accomdation and evening meals paid for, along with my expenses for bringing the car from London. Other snacks and drink were free from the crew hospitality bus.

I was self-employed at the time. The company paid me £280 by cheque, which my squeaky-clean accountant insisted I had to declare to the tax man.

Final insult: my car makes three very blurred appearances in the film. It's time on screen totals less than 45 seconds!

As I'd be reluctant to let a car out of my sight, and as being an 'owner-driver-film-extra' can be very boring indeed, I wouldn't do it again.
1956 4-door called Max

LucyBuchanan
Minor Friendly

Postby LucyBuchanan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Thank you ''Palacebear'', good to get the feedback even though it sounds a bit of a saga!

I'll keep researching and see what transpires.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Postby irmscher » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Lucy check that it doesn't state not for hire or reward in your insurance policy :wink:

LucyBuchanan
Minor Friendly

Postby LucyBuchanan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:55 am

Insurance, thanks will check it out, thanks for the advice.