Custom Marina 1275 engine backplate to fit marina gearbox and flywheel in a Minor

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
youngcamper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Custom Marina 1275 engine backplate to fit marina gearbox and flywheel in a Minor

Postby youngcamper » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:58 pm

Custom Marina 1275 engine backplate to fit marina gearbox and flywheel in a Minor.

Owen Burton part OWN 105 or simililar or drawings of so I can make one!

Thanks,

Will
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Custom Marina 1275 engine backplate to fit marina gearbox and flywheel in a Minor

Postby philthehill » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Here is a picture of the custom engine plate located top right OWN105.

If you save and enlarge the photo below you should be able to transpose the plate dimensions to a fresh piece of steel plate. Transposing the dimensions is made easier if a 1275cc Midget rear engine plate is placed on top of the steel plate. That will give you most of the dimensions required and then all you have to do is work out the cut out and placement of the starter aperture.

There are plenty of datum points to work from so as to give you a fair chance to replicate the OWN105 plate.

There was according to the Owen Burton Marina to Minor booklet a alloy bell housing produced to allow a Marina gearbox to be fitted to a 1275cc/1098cc rear engine plate. I have never seen one of those or even a photograph. Any information about the bell housing would be gratefully received.

CS Autoclassics produced a alloy bell housing with steel adapter plate to suit the Ford gearbox. Looking at the CS Autoclassics bell housing fitted to my Minor I see no reason why a steel adapter plate to suit the Marina gearbox could not be produced and used. The Marina bell housing is a very heavy cast iron item so using a alloy bell housing will save a lot of weight and fits the 'A' series without starter motor or clutch operation/linkage issues. Producing a Marina adapter plate to me is a lot easier than producing a replica Owen Burton OWN105 plate.
Owen Burton 123.jpg
Owen Burton 123.jpg (405.7 KiB) Viewed 193 times

youngcamper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Custom Marina 1275 engine backplate to fit marina gearbox and flywheel in a Minor

Postby youngcamper » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:34 pm

philthehill wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:52 pm
Here is a picture of the custom engine plate located top right OWN105.

If you save and enlarge the photo below you should be able to transpose the plate dimensions to a fresh piece of steel plate. Transposing the dimensions is made easier if a 1275cc Midget rear engine plate is placed on top of the steel plate. That will give you most of the dimensions required and then all you have to do is work out the cut out and placement of the starter aperture.

There are plenty of datum points to work from so as to give you a fair chance to replicate the OWN105 plate.

There was according to the Owen Burton Marina to Minor booklet a alloy bell housing produced to allow a Marina gearbox to be fitted to a 1275cc/1098cc rear engine plate. I have never seen one of those or even a photograph. Any information about the bell housing would be gratefully received.

CS Autoclassics produced a alloy bell housing with steel adapter plate to suit the Ford gearbox. Looking at the CS Autoclassics bell housing fitted to my Minor I see no reason why a steel adapter plate to suit the Marina gearbox could not be produced and used. The Marina bell housing is a very heavy cast iron item so using a alloy bell housing will save a lot of weight and fits the 'A' series without starter motor or clutch operation/linkage issues. Producing a Marina adapter plate to me is a lot easier than producing a replica Owen Burton OWN105 plate.

Owen Burton 123.jpg
Thanks for sending this over. I will have to make use of this by the look of things!
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________