Morris Minor alignment Jig

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
Murrayminor
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Morris Minor alignment Jig

Postby Murrayminor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:29 pm

As per the title I was wondering of anyone in the club knows of the whereabouts of a BMC front end alignment jig as used by dealers to repair damaged vehicles?
Club spares did have one but it appears to have been lost over the years.

I would be very interested in finding one and hiring it to repair my Morris Minor.

If you think you know where there is one please let me know.

Many Thanks

Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Morris Minor alignment Jig

Postby philthehill » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:59 pm

There was one for sale on 'e' bay a couple of years back but it went for several hundred pounds more than I would want to pay for it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64042&p=583946&hili ... ig#p583946

taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Postby taupe » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi

This is what the factory ones look like...why not make your own?
jig.JPG
jig.JPG (28.67 KiB) Viewed 370 times

Taupe

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:15 pm

taupe
If you have access to the manual from which the illustration was taken from is there any chance that the dimensions could be posted on here please?

Phil

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Postby olderisbetter » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:48 pm

If you had a decent shell with original panels would it be possible to make a jig while the car was stripped? I was thinking of making a MDF template and getting the flat panels plasma cut.

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:48 am

If we had those dimensions I would look into having something made, not by me I hasten to add but a friend owns an engineering workshop.
I could at least obtain a quote.

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Postby RobThomas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:49 am

I've got the 'book' but couldn't quite suss out the design. Is the tube at the top made so it can pivot up out of the way?
Cardiff, UK

ianmack
Minor Addict

Postby ianmack » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

Alternatively it is possible to improvise.

https://youtu.be/TeIk8cg4ehE

taupe
Minor Legend

Postby taupe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:25 pm

I made my own as below and the materials alone were quite expensive and it took about a week in all...If you farmed out the work I think the costs would be similar to buying a new part bodyshell....ie not available and prohibitively expensive.

JLH were looking to make kits at one time but I suspect they also found costs prohibitive.
jonathon wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:14 pm
Good work, nice jig too, been held up on the production of ours but should have them ready for sale or hire in a month or so. :D
I would be prepared to loan mine out but would be looking for a seriously large deposit to ensure it was returned or at least enough that I could afford to make a new one...

And Rob it is fully welded (except the two main checking plates) and no swiveling...

taupe wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:30 am
Hi

Ive been assembling and welding the front alignment jig today. Ive finished all the machining and drilling etc and its now just a case of bolting and welding it all together whilst keeping it all square!

Im pleased with the alignment so far - Ive measured some diagonals and theres no perceptable difference between them (less than half mm)

Here are some pics so far. Ive still got to weld the front bar on for the bumper stud checking points.
Image018.jpg
Image018.jpg (404.36 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Image020.jpg
Image020.jpg (423.44 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Image021.jpg
Image021.jpg (492.53 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Image022.jpg
Image022.jpg (431.63 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Taupe

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:45 pm

ianmack wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am
Alternatively it is possible to improvise.

https://youtu.be/TeIk8cg4ehE
He did well pulling it straight, I think I wold have removed the fuel tank though, especially with the "gas axe" in play.

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:58 pm

taupe wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:25 pm
I made my own as below and the materials alone were quite expensive and it took about a week in all...If you farmed out the work I think the costs would be similar to buying a new part bodyshell....ie not available and prohibitively expensive.

JLH were looking to make kits at one time but I suspect they also found costs prohibitive.
jonathon wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:14 pm
Good work, nice jig too, been held up on the production of ours but should have them ready for sale or hire in a month or so. :D
I would be prepared to loan mine out but would be looking for a seriously large deposit to ensure it was returned or at least enough that I could afford to make a new one...

And Rob it is fully welded no swiveling...

taupe wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:30 am
Hi

Ive been assembling and welding the front alignment jig today. Ive finished all the machining and drilling etc and its now just a case of bolting and welding it all together whilst keeping it all square!

Im pleased with the alignment so far - Ive measured some diagonals and theres no perceptable difference between them (less than half mm)

Here are some pics so far. Ive still got to weld the front bar on for the bumper stud checking points.

Image018.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image021.jpg

Image022.jpg
Taupe
Well done, I can see how the frame mounts on the shock absorber mounts and the engine mounts.
How will the frame assist if the whole front end has to come off?
I mean if the bumper brackets, tie plates, Flitch panels and chassis rails need to be replaced.
Would it be a case of cutting the old metal out and beginning with the chassis rails and building the front up from there?

Dermot.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm

The lower round tube of the jig - I have it in the back of my mind that the lower tube fits into and is bolted to the steering rack mounts. ???

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Postby RobThomas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:52 pm

The bottom tube is just the spacer between eyebolt holes. In the original design I though that the top tube was spaced away from the damper mounts on a rotating bracket. Is there any reason not to delete that top tube and weld the 2 large triangles straight onto the damper plate? Would make it easier to fabricate.
Cardiff, UK

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:24 pm

Rob
Thank you for the clarification.

If I read it right then - the two round detachable bars fit through the eye bolt holes into the centre of the bottom tube.

Phil

taupe
Minor Legend

Postby taupe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Rob

The damper plate is held in place with six large CSK screws.. I think these are used as welding would introduce too much distortion....the damper plate needs to be dead flat hence using ground flat steel stock...

philthehill wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:24 pm

If I read it right then - the two round detachable bars fit through the eye bolt holes into the centre of the bottom tube.

Phil
Yes that's right with a loose spacer to allow the jig to be fitted between the chassis rails...

It should also be noted that this is designed as a checking jig and not an assembly jig ie it is for checking alignment as assembly progresses or following accident damage and is not as such designed for holding it all in place during assembly.

Taupe