Early 1953 Series II parts wanted

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
Ian46
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Early 1953 Series II parts wanted

Postby Ian46 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:46 pm

I have recently purchased a 'project car' in pieces and inevitably there are some parts missing.

I require the following for a very early Series II - 2 door Saloon -

1) An 803cc Rocker cover with the white enamelled cap.

2) The large circular inspection cover which lives under the rear seats (same as MM models).

3) A good second hand rear chrome bumper blade (that has never had overriders fitted).

4) Any standard interior trim panels in maroon (so no chrome strips on doors).

5) The rear view mirror complete (ie mirror and clamp).

6) 2no sunvisors (my car has the early MM type solid roof panels which is the dark brown colour).

7) 2no lengths of heater tubing that go from the heater up to the demister vents.

8) 2no chrome rings for the prefocus headlight bowls (I believe these are different to the later Series II models).

Thanks in anticipation.

Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o

Ian46
Minor Fan

Re: Early 1953 Series II parts wanted

Postby Ian46 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:18 pm

Well, I've managed to find the correct 803cc rocker cover.

But still looking for the rest.

:D
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o

Garyjohndavies
Minor Friendly

Postby Garyjohndavies » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:56 pm

Have a very good, second hand, rear bumper blade . With mounting iron work ,but has had over riders fitted .
Would get you under way till you get an undrilled one !

Gary

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Postby ManyMinors » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 am

All the rear bumper blades were manufactured with the mounting holes present. Cars without over riders simply had chromed bolts fitted in the holes. The problem is that a secondhand bumper will always be marked if over riders have been fitted previously :wink:

Garyjohndavies
Minor Friendly

Postby Garyjohndavies » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:32 pm

Now that makes sense ,my bumper has no overrider marks ,but has holes which presumably were for blanking bolts . So it is an early bumper blade .

Gary

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Postby ManyMinors » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:48 pm

As far as I know, all the one-piece rear bumper blades are the same - there is no "early" or "late" rear bumper.
That is not the case at the front. Late MM and early Series11 cars with the "cheesegrater" grille had a different front over rider position to the later cars with the horizontal grille bars. The holes for the over riders are therefore in a different position on the early bumpers.
Owners of early cars fitted with later bumpers will find that the over riders mask the sidelights fitted within the cheesegrater grille.
Not all cars had over riders fitted of course. They were a feature of the "deluxe" model!