Wanted a roof light box

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
Camycam_04
MMOC Member: No

Wanted a roof light box

Postby Camycam_04 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:54 pm

Hi there I wanted to know that if anyone’s got a roof light box.and how much would you want for it.thanks cameron

geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wanted a roof light box

Postby geoberni » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:36 pm

You might want to explain yourself....

Thur 30/4 ....Edited to add:

Some 60+ people have seen this and not given a response.
Cameron hasn't replied either.
What on earth are you referring to as a "Roof Light Box".
I'm guessing that everyone else around here, like me, has no idea what you are asking about.
Basil the 1955 series II

mgdavid
Minor Friendly

Postby mgdavid » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:10 pm

for a Police Panda car perhaps?
midget1380@btinternet.com

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Fri May 01, 2020 6:48 am

I think I saw an other post elsewhere referring to a Police Roof Light box.

To respond to the question:
I would have thought it would be fairly straightforward for a sign company to make a box up to a given drawing or photograph.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor

simmitc

Postby simmitc » Fri May 01, 2020 9:26 am

There were a whole range of different styles for the Police boxes, some metal, some GRP. People have made plywood replicas. Roof light boxes were also used by other organisations such as utilities and breakdown services, so the original question really does need some clarification. Is it going on a Minor, or just requested here as one possible source, but for a different vehicle?

Steve Phillips
Minor Friendly

Postby Steve Phillips » Fri May 01, 2020 9:38 am

Hi all

These Police panda car roof signs are available and are offered with a host of options, they were originally made for use in a film about the great train robbery, ( one of the many films about it )

How do I know? I make them, and have done for about the last 10 years or so,

Dont want to make this business plug though, so just trying to show they are available.

Steve
Attachments
panda light 1.jpg
panda light 1.jpg (935.95 KiB) Viewed 347 times
panda light 2.JPG.jpg
panda light 2.JPG.jpg (4.6 MiB) Viewed 347 times

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Postby myoldjalopy » Fri May 01, 2020 9:54 am

Nice! 8)

simmitc

Postby simmitc » Fri May 01, 2020 10:33 am

Useful to know, thanks.

burnham28
Minor Fan

Postby burnham28 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:23 am

How much are they ?
[img]jpg[/img]

geoberni
Minor Legend

Postby geoberni » Fri May 01, 2020 11:37 am

mgdavid wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:10 pm
for a Police Panda car perhaps?
Well I was kind of guessing at that, but I saw no reason to go posting replies about such to them discover he wanted something else.... like an AA van perhaps.

Equally, given that there were some 115 (ish) Police Forces in E&W alone at the time that Panda Cars were introduced, that's a huge variety in Signage and Light box styles.

simmitc wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:26 am
There were a whole range of different styles for the Police boxes, some metal, some GRP. People have made plywood replicas. Roof light boxes were also used by other organisations such as utilities and breakdown services, so the original question really does need some clarification. Is it going on a Minor, or just requested here as one possible source, but for a different vehicle?
Exactly...
Basil the 1955 series II

Steve Phillips
Minor Friendly

Postby Steve Phillips » Fri May 01, 2020 1:52 pm

I agree with Simon there were lots of options available regards illuminated roof signs,

But I would say the three most popular styles appear to be,

Inverted "A" as in the pictures in my previous post, so looking at the side view the sign box is wider at the top than the bottom,

Capital "A" similar to those used on the Heartbeat TV series Ford Anglia,

Tapered end, these often look to have been made of fibreglass from what I can tell, and generally seem to be found o slightly later pandas, ie late 60s in 70s

Although I'm happy to be corrected on any of the above,

The boxes we made originally for the film were made from steel and finished in powder coat white (similar white to old english) inside were 2x 21w bulbs as per the origional,

Making the illuminated signs was not hard, the hardest challenge believe it or not was finding revolving blue lamps that looked correct and that revolved slowly enough, if you watch a film with an old panda car in you will see the lights revolve quite slowly compared with modern revolving lamps,

The lamps in the pictures were actually sourced from a German company, who found great hilarity in me trying to explain that I liked their lamps because they look 'old fashioned' but wouldn't buy them unless they spun slowly enough, we got there in the end but I think the German lady I dealt with was left bemused by a strange English man asking such odd questions,

But that's the film business it has to look correct, and work, "sometimes"

Richie B
Minor Friendly

Postby Richie B » Fri May 01, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi, I stand to be corrected as it was 50 years ago when I was in the Met. Police. Our panda cars in the early 70s were Morris 1000 and the Police sign on the roof was either square or rectangular viewed from the side. I hope im correct as I spent many an hour stood by the side of the car having a crafty fag (it was the 70s) :lol: We did'nt have a blue light permanetly although I think the sergeants vehicle carried a magnetic light for use at scenes of road collisions etc.

mgdavid
Minor Friendly

Postby mgdavid » Sun May 03, 2020 2:04 pm

Well I was kind of guessing at that, but I saw no reason to go posting replies about such to them discover he wanted something else.... like an AA van perhaps.
I wasn't really guessing as I'd made the connection with a question on facebook.... :D
midget1380@btinternet.com