Brake light switch for 1960 morris minor

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
Geocha2268
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Brake light switch for 1960 morris minor

Postby Geocha2268 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:45 pm

I'm looking a brake light switch for a morris minor, I'm in the Crawley/Gatwick area..... I'm desperate to give the moggy a drive but I don't think its a good idea with no back lights!!

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Brake light switch for 1960 morris minor

Postby ManyMinors » Tue May 26, 2020 4:32 pm

ESM (East Sussex Minors) will post you one very quickly if you don't fancy a drive to them. Generally very quick postage :wink:

geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Brake light switch for 1960 morris minor

Postby geoberni » Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 pm

I know you've recently posted about various brake problems.

As this is a pressure switch fitted to the brake lines, apologies if 'teaching granny to suck eggs' etc., but have you confirmed there is enough pressure to actually operate the switch? Do the brakes now actually lock the wheels? Are they fully bled?

I know my car needs quite a firm press on the pedal to make the lights come on; unlike a modern car with a simple pedal switch, whereby displacement of the pedal makes the lights illuminate, irrespective of any actual braking taking place.

I've no idea what the original spec was/is to operate the switch, but I've seen switches advertised as being 5 Bar setting, which equates to just over 72 PSI. That's quite a bit of pressure.

Worth shopping around too. The Green Spark Plug Co seem to have a good reputation and are a lot cheaper than ESM:
https://www.gsparkplug.com/brake-light- ... jEQAvD_BwE
Basil the 1955 series II