LM 471 early light bases / mounting blocks (painted type)

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

LM 471 early light bases / mounting blocks (painted type)

Postby jagnut66 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi,
Does anyone have any of the painted mounting blocks / bases for the early LM 471 rear lights going spare / for sale.
ESM do them but are out of stock, as I expect the other suppliers are too, if they follow the trend for some parts at present.
I've attached links to their site below though, so you can see the ones I mean.
I'm after a pair.
Mine have been attached to my rear wings in such a way that it will take a grinder to get them off and I'm concerned it will render them unusable in the process.
As always many thanks for any help with this.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... 95-p829907
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/elect ... 94-p829906
1954 Series 2 on axle stands needing more welding......

geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: LM 471 early light bases / mounting blocks (painted type)

Postby geoberni » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Mike
I would suggest you consider how you remove them and also make use of them being held in place at the moment.
If they are in reasonable condition regarding corrosion why not work out how to drill them for new fixing bolts and then transfer them over to your replacement wings (if I recall correctly from other posts, you're replacing the wings with the right sort).

Are the new wings already frilled with mounting holes?

Hopefully I'll write this bit in a manner you can follow.
I would very carefully drill out the existing bolts from the outside.
Then drill a shallow clearance hole part way down so that you can put a loose nut in it. The nut can be held in place with a bit of 2 part putty such as Milliput and job's a good'n.

I hope that make sense.

I'm planning to do something like this when I fit Body colour spacers to Basil I got a pair of ish condition ones off ebay last year. You can't get modern repo for the late SII L549 lights. That's what comes of only being around for 2 years.
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Re: LM 471 early light bases / mounting blocks (painted type)

Postby jagnut66 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi Berni,
You are right, I have a nice pair of high cut original wings to go back in place of the later ones that are coming off. These are already drilled, so I don't want to drill more holes if I can avoid it.
I will try and salvage the originals later, as you suggest, they may do for another car later, however I prefer to pre-empt any damage for now.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2 on axle stands needing more welding......