Split windscreen chrome centre pillar

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Split windscreen chrome centre pillar

Postby jagnut66 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:14 pm

Hi,
I've just started taking the last bits off Sally ready for a respray and guess what, the bit I thought would be tricky, removing the (rare as rocking horse poo) windscreen surrounds went easily. Both out, in one piece, no bends or kinks and cleaned up a treat! :D
Now I'm just sweating about refitting them............
The item I thought would be straightforward, the chromed centre pillar wouldn't budge, after decades of being firmly screwed in place the machine screws were firmly rusted in place........
Soaking in Plusgas didn't make any difference, though I thought it had at first, until I realised that the extra pressure applied, after leaving it to soak in for a while, had simply snapped the first one off.
Well it had to come out to release the rare surrounds, so I carried on.
Result: Successful removal of the screen surrounds but four screws snapped off in place, three of which are flush to the pillar.
Morris Minor Chromed windscreen centre pillar         snapped screws.JPG
Morris Minor Chromed windscreen centre pillar snapped screws.JPG (612.82 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Ironically the chrome on the front is good and I was planning to clean this up and reuse it. :roll:

So I am now looking for a replacement centre pillar and screws.
I know you can get new reproductions of this from the usual suspects, however I have been warned that the fit isn't great, in that the ends are not long enough to hold the centre clips in place.
Does anyone have a good spare original they can sell me, or failing this, recommend a supplier of a repro that will fit properly?
Many thanks in advance for any help with this.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2 on axle stands needing more welding......

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Split windscreen chrome centre pillar

Postby kennatt » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:53 am

the repros are not too bad a fit but the chrome quality is cr...p. Mine lasted about 9 months before pitting started,same with tye bumpers.I think I would try drilling a small hole and seeing if self tapper might work ,shame to throw it out if its got reasonable chrome.Or as a last resort small hole and screw then just touch it with a mig to spot weld them,the heat should free it up,with a wet cloth under the chrome there should be little damage or warping,nothing to lose .

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Postby JOWETTJAVELIN » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am

Likewise I would carefully drill the remains out.

Basil

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:27 am

Given concerns about the length and now the quality of the chromework on repros, I have just purchased a set of cobalt drill bits from Machine Mart (not cheap but a 99 piece set - the majority of multiples being of the smaller drill bits that tend to snap after a few uses, so it should hopefully last me a while), with the intention of attempting to drill out the remnants.
I may try some gentle heat on the one still standing proud, that I can get a grip on.
Wish me luck.
Best wishes,
Mike.

MCminor11
Minor Friendly

Postby MCminor11 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:03 am

Hi, I’ve got one with only one screw left in if you come unstuck. M

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:22 am

Hi, I’ve got one with only one screw left in if you come unstuck. M
Thanks, :D
I may take you up on that.
Best wishes,
Mike.

MCminor11
Minor Friendly

Postby MCminor11 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Managed to clear the last one with a mole wrench and screwdriver. Now clear for use. M

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:35 pm

Managed to clear the last one with a mole wrench and screwdriver. Now clear for use. M
Started out as a good afternoon spent in garage, taking the last items off and then removing the screens before we enter the paint prep stage, though that will be in the new year now.
Then turned my attention back to the centre pillar and made the embarrassing mistake of managing to drill right through the soft brass.... Doh! :oops: :roll:

C'est la vie...........

I've sent a PM in respect of your kind offer.
Thanks and best wishes,
Mike.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:13 pm

Well Maureen has very kindly helped me out with regard to the pillar, for which I'm extremely grateful.
Now I need to source some new fixings, does anyone know a source for the four machine screws that were used to hold the centre pillar in place, or even what size / thread they are?
As always all help and advice is much appreciated.
Best wishes,
Mike.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Postby JOWETTJAVELIN » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:29 pm

I think 2BA, they will be the same as Morris Oxford MO, Six MS and the corresponding Wolseley models.

Basil