Carolla Rollover or Mr Grumpy's Jig

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
Johnboy52
MMOC Member: No

Carolla Rollover or Mr Grumpy's Jig

Postby Johnboy52 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:52 am

I have just bought a1954 Split screen 2 door and am looking for a Carolla Rollover or Mr Grumpy's jig. (Not a Rotisserie type frame).

I am in Southampton and my mobile number is: 0780 377 4000. Would be grateful for any help in finding one.

John

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Carolla Rollover or Mr Grumpy's Jig

Postby philthehill » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:20 am

Before you purchase anything ask yourself - is your chassis capable of having a roll over frame fitted to the suspension?
There is a lot of force placed on the chassis legs and rear spring hangers when the car is rolled. You might end up with a twisted body if the bodywork is not capable of holding the extra loading. :cry:
Using a roll over jig is not as straight forward as it may seem.
If the rust is bad it may be better to use a rotisserie. There are plenty of ideas on here and some very good home made ones as well that do not require the use of a welder to make - just use the search facility.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Postby Murrayminor » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:23 pm

I can add to the above, I bought a roll over jig but quickly realised how poor my chassis legs were so had to resort to welding it whilst upright, my jig is sat unused in the garage.
I'm now working on a rotisserie utilising a scaffold tube so I can turn the car over.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor

Johnboy52

Postby Johnboy52 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Thank you for the input regarding my request for a rollover jig. I did spend ten years restoring Morris Minors and used a Carolla with no problems so feel comfortable with this design. When I retired and gave up my business I sold off equipment and spares. However, I happened on this project recently by chance and want to do one more restoration.

If anyone has a Carolla jig and wants to sell it, please send me photos and a price and obviously where it's located . Mobile no: 0780 377 4000

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:42 pm

So it appears to be a repeat case of the dreaded Minor restoration syndrome. A bit like malaria once you have it it never goes away.
It is best to keep at least 2m away from those who have the syndrome because there is no known cure if you catch it. :wink:

dp
Minor Legend

Postby dp » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:19 am

Johnboy52 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:53 pm
Thank you for the input regarding my request for a rollover jig. I did spend ten years restoring Morris Minors and used a Carolla with no problems so feel comfortable with this design. When I retired and gave up my business I sold off equipment and spares. However, I happened on this project recently by chance and want to do one more restoration.

If anyone has a Carolla jig and wants to sell it, please send me photos and a price and obviously where it's located . Mobile no: 0780 377 4000
I have a CJ Autos car roller you can borrow - Southend on Sea area.
https://cjautosheywood.co.uk/product/ba ... -4-5-stud/

Johnboy52

Postby Johnboy52 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:49 pm

Thank you for your very kind offer for the loan of the rollover jig. I would be most grateful if I could borrow it when I am ready, and would be able to come and collect it from Southend. As soon as Covid restrictions lift I will get in touch if that's OK and if you can text me or post your 'phone number here that would be very helpful.

Many thanks again and Happy New Year.

John