Front Seats.

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
Wurzlejock
MMOC Member: No

Front Seats.

Postby Wurzlejock » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:00 am

I have a 1965 Convertible but kitted out to look like a mid 50s car. It has series 11 front seats and rear seat but the door trim etc is 65. However it has all been painted cream which does go well with the the smoke grey paint and dark blue hood. But the front seats are past their best. Newton Commercial can do front seat replacement covers for an eye watering £537 all in but that is in vinyl. So should I go down that route or should I get replacement front seats and colour them or should I get a total interior kit in the original pale blue vinyl. Any thoughts or offers of parts for me to buy? I have one 1965 seat in correct pale blue. Many thanks, Stewart.

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front Seats.

Postby jagnut66 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi,
You could find yourself a local upholsterer of repute and see what they would charge. They can copy the original seat design, so it will look period correct and you would get the leather you desire.
I have seen some good work done this way and from what I was told, not as expensive as you might think.
Sally's seats will need recovering and I have already broached the subject with the chap who recovered my wing armchairs.
You would also be putting money back into the local economy.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- on axle stands needing more welding......
1955 Series 2: Traveller: "Elsie May" -- on the road and enjoying her 'as is' for now but I see work ahead......

Wurzlejock
MMOC Member: No

Postby Wurzlejock » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Thanks Mike. Yes I got a chair recovered recently by an upholsterer in Minehead but he was quite emphatic he wouldn't do car seats! But I will ask around. Thanks! Stewart.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Postby myoldjalopy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:40 pm

If you have one good correct vinyl seat for your car, see if you can get the remainder by posting a wanted list on here. Much cheaper than new ones from NC.......

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:58 pm

he was quite emphatic he wouldn't do car seats
Fortunately mine already does them on request, so I struck lucky there.
'myoldjalopy' is correct in that you may well get good secondhand vinyl seat covers from someone on here, they certainly will be cheaper.
It just depends what you want but remember any original secondhand vinyl covers will be at least 50 plus years old by now and I have found it gets brittle with age.
Another cheaper option will be to get a new vinyl set from the likes of ESM, Charles Ware, David Manners etc.
Which brings us neatly back round to it being dependent on what you want to do and what your budget is.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- on axle stands needing more welding......
1955 Series 2: Traveller: "Elsie May" -- on the road and enjoying her 'as is' for now but I see work ahead......

irmscher
Minor Legend

Postby irmscher » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:17 am

I might have a nos set of seat covers in blue I will have a look :)

irmscher
Minor Legend

Postby irmscher » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:59 am

Found them if you want to pm me for a picture