Traveller axle U bolts

If you need something, try asking for it here - you never know
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Traveller axle U bolts

Postby JOWETTJAVELIN » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:55 pm

I need two U bolts for my Traveller, these are the longer ones for the 7 leaf springs. I am specifically after the ones with two nuts, one of which is a narrow one acting as a locking nut. I don't want the ones being sold now which have a single nylock nut. Post please or I could collect from Rochdale and Morpeth areas or anywhere along the way which isn't far from the M62/A1.

Basil

simmitc

Re: Traveller axle U bolts

Postby simmitc » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:05 am

You can buy full and half nuts on their own, and use them instead of the nyloc nuts supplied with the new bolts. Have a look at https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:28 am

The original 'U' bolt threads are BSF. The new aftermarket 'U' bolts mostly have UNF threads.
There is nothing wrong with having UNF 'U' bolts with just self locking nuts. The self locking nuts will not come undone.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Postby JOWETTJAVELIN » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:05 pm

Thanks both but I want to have it 'original', so unless I find some NOS examples then some good secondhand ones will do. I tried club spares but there aren't any.

Basil

simmitc

Postby simmitc » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:54 pm

Or, as I suggested above, just buy the nuts to fit on new U-bolts. If NOS are not available then I'd prefer to have new rather than used of unknown history and potentially weaknesses and worn threads.