Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
craigb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

location of 'side/tail warning light'

Post by craigb »

This is for a very early '49 tourer that has come into my care in the smallest of pieces..... ever had that circular nightmare when you just can't find a certain part! Anyway, putting a new loom into the car and the wiring diagram shows "side and tail lamp warning light". And on the old loom that had been cut into sections well before my contact I can see a bulb holder on a short wire coming off the where i think the light switch would have been. Looking at the backs of the gauges I can't see anywhere for that bulb holder to go. I figure it must be an actual light or something to stand out in daylight because otherwise at night you would see the other dash lights. And also I am not confusing it with the generator light, that's a different sort of bulb holder. I looked online for a 'handbook' type guide that showed an old diagram outlining dash layout but couldn't find anything.

I'm not too worried though and can just leave it off but thought i would ask - just trying to keep such an early car as 'correct' as i can.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: location of 'side/tail warning light'

Post by RobThomas »

Should be a little 3mm-ish hole drilled in the black cardboard piece behind the dash panel. The (red) bulb holder clamps between dash and light switch to shine through the hole.
Cardiff, UK
craigb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: location of 'side/tail warning light'

Post by craigb »

Thanks heaps Rob - how rude of me having completely forgot i asked this. I had a stroke at the end of June and been so lucky from fast action to have made virtually full recovery but one thing it has done is affect that shorter term memory. I hope it gets better but meanwhile i just need to make myself daily lists.

That makes sense of where the position is but I think i am missing any remnant of that cardboard you refer to. Also there is a short wire and globe holder with a couple of sprung tabs on it, that would be consistent with what you describe. I have to have a closer look at a complete car and can probably replicate that panel.

The car is getting very close now and will post a pic in my original thread - maybe tomorrow and getting late here now after a long day. Major stumbling block is still this early window winder and will post a new thread with photos for what i am looking for. Keep hitting dead ends chasing one here in Australia.